Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive won't detect ethernet controller automatically

• Please log in to reply

kokonutz

kokonutz

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I had a Dell Inspiron 530 that recently the motherboard went out. It was powering up and shutting off right after the Windows display would come up. I first thought it was a power supply, but after following steps in the forum I came to the conclusion it was the motherboard. I aquired a Dell Dimension 5150C from work and proceded to hook up my hard drive to that computer. My problem is after replacing the hard drive with mine it won't detect the ethernet controller. It is listed under "other devices" along with the ethernet it had 2 unknown devices listed as well. I went on Dell website and was not able to find the driver I need for the ethernet. I tried the driver cd that came with the computer and still no luck. Does anyone have any other advice to get this to work? THANKS!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi kokonutz and welcome to Geeks to Go.

What you have done is put your hard drive that has all the drivers specific to the board for your original Dell Inspiron 530 and put it in to a Dell Dimension 5150C. These are 2 different computers and 2 different main boards. The drivers are not the same.

The driver cd must be for the Dell 5150c.
You need to first install the chipset drivers specific to the 5150c and then see what other drivers are missing.

I did not find a 5150c on the Dell site. There is a 5150/E510. Drivers are here

Anothe way is to use the service tag on the back or side of the unit. The tag should take you right to what was in the unit for the 5150c.

123runner