Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wuauclt.exe and svchost.exe errors NEED URGENT ASSISTANCE!

• Please log in to reply

Blueheart

Blueheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I would like to give you additional information about my system setup.

First of all, to answer to your reply, I can hear sound coming from the center connector, which is controlled by the front speaker and the blue connector controlled by the rear speaker. This is what I had before, in a quadraphonic speaker setup.

My problem is that I believe I am not using the SoundMAX setup, but Windows system, the sound is not as clear as before and I am not able to get the Sound Wizard, that allows me to test the speakers in SoundMAX and shows that I am using it.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it again, but I am not being able to get this to work. I believe I have the correct driver installed.

I accessed the Analog Devices, Inc. website, to look for updates or to download the correct driver, but the version sold with my computer is no longer supported.

If you know of another sound system that I can use, to “upgrade” my current sound system, maybe is the route to take.

Thank you

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe your sound is built onboard and may be failing, so the only way to fix it is to replace it with a add on card.
I see where you told me it was a Tiger computer but i missed if it was a desktop or laptop.
I am going on the assumption it is a desktop here. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Blueheart

Blueheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hello rshaffer61:

I am a little confused about your determination, it could be right, but I have the following facts that confuse me:

• If the sound, built onboard, is going bad, why is still working in a quadraphonic setting? My system is a desktop, brad name ULTRA, but with an Intel board ((1) Please refer to the pictures which I have uploaded to the attached link for details)

• Today I uninstalled the program SoundControl, that I was using instead as a replacement to SoundMAX, to see if I could “force” SounMAX to run in my system, with no success.

At the same time I ran the utilities at PCPitStop, to test my system and after reviewing the results I found out the following:

• My System Configuration Utility shows that SMax4 is running from a different location. This is a “backup” location, which as we know, is no longer valid, since I have a “new” configuration. How can I remove and recreate the correct location? ((2) Please refer to the pictures which I have uploaded to the attached link).

• I also noticed that some of my SoundMAX files were created in 2004, when the rest of the files are from 2002 and earlier. I am not sure, but maybe I downloaded files, which are not compatible with each other, while I was trying to update my “current drivers” ((3)Please refer to the pictures which I have uploaded to the attached link for details)

I hope that this helps you in diagnosing my problem. I am trying to get my system back in “as close as possible” to the state I had before the ‘big crash”.

LINK

Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I am confused now as I went back through the post and i found the pics you posted of the audio properties and the Soundmax is listed as your default sound device.
Now the question is do you have the original drivers disk or motherboard drivers disk?

Blueheart

Blueheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Yes to both...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok here is what I suggest. Uninstall all present audio drivers in Safe Mode and then reboot. See if windows will reinstall ti on it's own. If not then use the drivers disk that came with your motherboard and that will have the original sound drivers on it.
Let me know how this works for you.

Blueheart

Blueheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hello rshaffer61:

Well…here it is, my current situation.

I followed your suggestion and uninstalled “all present audio drivers in Safe Mode”. My system found the hardware and installed the drivers again, but SoundMAX did not work. I believe that the “default” sound system was working, but I was only able to hear two of the speakers. I also lost Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Media Control Devices and Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device (the list is from the “current” setup (explained later). Am I missing any additional important Codecs or other?).

After trying to re-install SoundMAX, in many different ways, I used the “Restore” utility to “roll back” the system, to the state before all these changes.

Then, after many other tries, I figured it out…SoundMAX installs itself through its own program, but I was missing the correct “SMax4PNP.exe”, the current file, upgraded through a download, was not compatible. I went to the systems’ website and downloaded the whole SoundMAX programs, which together with my driver program, from the manufacturer, installed the SoudMAX system.

Now I have again the whole sound system as before “the crash”, in a quadraphonic setup and this part is working fine.

I am still trying to resolve the issue I have with the “System Configuration Utility”. It points to a program in drive D: I searched through the registers to find it. I did not remove it because I wanted to ask for your guidance on this and if I should keep it (replacing it with the correct program), or delete it. I know that the general rule is that if it is not giving me problems, the best is to “leave the registers alone”, but eventually, once my system is back to, as much as possible, the original state, I will delete all the files on D: to use it, as either a back up or additional storage.

Thank you again for all your inputs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get a screenshot of the message System Configuration Utility is giving you?
I can then try to assist you with this.

Blueheart

Blueheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hello rshaffer61:

I am sorry I have not written back to you for a while.

Here is my current situation once again…

I started by looking at the System Configuration Utility and then I searched the registers using the “regedit” command.

Please refer to the following link to see the screenshots of the System Configuration Utility and registers which have references to the drive D:

Does this mean that since there is more than one program, which is pointing to this drive this could be a potential problem, when I delete or change the name of the file? As mentioned earlier, this drive is additional storage and could be used for backup purposes as well.

Thank you for your patience

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I apologize because I didn't go back and read everything again.
Is drive D another hard drive or a partition on your current drive?
What drive letter is assigned to your cdrom drive in My Computer?

Advertisements

Blueheart

Blueheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I have two hard drives (C: and D: with DISE_BACKUP E:) and two CD drives F: and G: I also have the external drive that could be H: if I do not connect anything before it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it possible that some programs may have been installed to the D drive?
Also the entries may be referencing data folders on that drive.
What program is it pointing to?

Blueheart

Blueheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
The System Configuration Utility and the first register point to SoundMax, the program which I re-installed. The registers also point to some programs that I have re-installed, since the “big” crash, Adobe Acrobat, Graphics Program (20/20), Some PowerPoint files, Media Player, Emule.

Like I mentioned before, some of these programs I have re-installed and the registers should be pointing to files on drive C:

I am thinking that I am going to “rename” the files on D: and either re-install, or repair the programs affected. I only hope that this will correct the issues.

I would like to get your opinion about this before I proceed…I do not want to have to re-install my whole system again, because something may go wrong. At this point I am not yet at the point where I was, before the big crash and I am having a difficult time, repairing/re-installing all the previous installations that I was using.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Adobe is not a problem as it is just a reader. It doesn't matter where it resides as long as it is doing it's job.
Graphics program I'm not familiar with but if the program needs to be reinstalled then that should take care of the issue.
Powerpoint files is it possible these files were backed up to the D drive during the problem originally?
Media Player I'm not sure if this is Windows Media Player or a different one.
Everything I looked at on your pics suggest this is all the backup stuff that you are seeing in the system configuration and the registries.
Now is any of this causing a problem or is it just the point it points to the D drive?

Blueheart

Blueheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
rshaffer61:

• Adobe is Acrobat and was just upgraded to version 9.3.0.
• Media Player is Windows Media Player.
• I can reinstall the graphics program.
• PowerPoint files are just data files and I think this will change when I open the correct ones from drive C:
• SoundMax – I reinstalled it and should be looking for the files, the correct ones, in drive C: It has not given me problems yet…

My worry is that when I delete these files to make backups, I will have problems, since those files will no be there when the registers look for them.