Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
For some reason, I am unable to get the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 to download. I go through the download process and it appears to be going through without issue. But when I go to search for the software, it is no where to be found. It shows up under "all programs" as ATI CCC. When I click on it, nothing happens. I also keep getting Catalyst Control Center application has stopped working. I think we are close to resolving but I can't seem to push through the software download.

Advertisements

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Well, I am watching the update download. when I go to C: ATI, it says it was last modified on 8/6/2009. If I click on ATI, it goes to support and indicates date modified of 12/7/09. If I click on support, I see 3 files. They are:

9-6_vista 32-64_sb dated 8/6/2009
9-11_legacy_vista32-64 dated 12/7/2009
9_3vista32_win7_32_dd

Where do I go from here?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the question is do you use the CCC program? If not then you can disable it and\or turn it off in msconfig startup.
It is just a way to control the display more thn windows display properties. I personally never used it when I had a ATI card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok the steps to do now to see if we can finally run this down.
Disable CCC as I suggested above.
If that doesn't work then reinstall the Motherboard Chipset Driver. This would be on the drivers disk that came with the motherboard.
Third is to purchase a new video card and replace the existing.

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Step one complete. Went to msconfig / startup and disabled CCC at startup. Now I wait and see what happens. Step 2 could be more challenging. Drivers disk for the motherboard is no where to be found. Any suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have tried to find the chipset driver but not having much luck.

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
If I am forced to go with new video card, what would you suggest? No gaming going on over here so that may help narrow the focus a bit.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your motherboard has the following expansion slots
PCI Three (two available)
PCI Express One (available)

This means you can put a newer card in your system. I would say since you are not doing any gaming this one HERE should be more then enough to work for you.

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Item is on order. Once it arrives, I may need a quick assist to put it in. Keep you posted and let's hope this one works. Talk with you soon and thanks again for everything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and just let me know. I will assist in any way I can. :) :)

Advertisements

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
rshaffer1 - received the graphics card. looking inside computer for open slots. Have what appears to be 3 white slots (1 open) and 1 black slot. The black slot is open. One of the 3 white slots has a firewire connection. Not something I use anymore. Suspect I could pull that out. The other two white slots are used for phone connection and antenna for wireless. Let me know next steps. Thanks

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I should also note - when turning computer on, often times the screen is a bit blurry. I generally turn the monitor off, wait a moment and turn back on. Historically, I would hear a sound indicating the device had been turned off. I would hear the sound again when it came back on. Lately, no sound off, no sound on. Leads me to believe the computer is not seeing or connecting with the monitor. Not sure if this is any indication of the problems we have seen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you got the video card I suggested it will fit into the black slot as you described. That should be the PCI Express slot.

biff74

biff74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Video card is installed. Went with the DVI cable which was a welcome option. All software loaded. Plan to run a quick Driver Detective just to make sure all is good. Got fingers crossed. Stay tuned.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :)