Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer booting up problem?!

• Please log in to reply

PrettyBOYY

PrettyBOYY

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My computer will boot up but it doesn't make a beep sound like any other computer. Plus, it doesn't send power to my screen or usb's. Usually when you plug up the mouse to the usb the light on the laser at the bottom comes on but it will flicker once and then it'll die. The harddrive and disc drive boots up fine but it doesn't show anything on my screen. I've taken out the memory sticks one by one to see if there was something wrong with it but it's still the same. Can anybody help?? Thanks...

Advertisements

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Does the fan on the power supply comes on?

Check the power supply or the power supply cord.

PrettyBOYY

PrettyBOYY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Does the fan on the power supply comes on?

Check the power supply or the power supply cord.

yea power comes on, fan comes on, disc drive works... but the screen is blank and theres no beep when it starts on

longleyleeds

longleyleeds

• Pip
  • 3 posts
have exact same problem, everything was fine thursday, now the pc powers on, fan spins and i can open and close the disc drive but nothing plugged into it works, monitor displays no connection, mouse and keyboard dont light up, usb drives dont work, lan port doesnt light green.

i have tried resetting the cmos didnt have any effect, i have removed all ram to see if it beeps as it should when no ram installed and there was nothing

im lost

longleyleeds

longleyleeds

• Pip
  • 3 posts
have exact same problem, everything was fine thursday, now the pc powers on, fan spins and i can open and close the disc drive but nothing plugged into it works, monitor displays no connection, mouse and keyboard dont light up, usb drives dont work, lan port doesnt light green.

i have tried resetting the cmos didnt have any effect, i have removed all ram to see if it beeps as it should when no ram installed and there was nothing

im lost

longleyleeds

longleyleeds

• Pip
  • 3 posts

im lost

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Sometime power supplies go bad over time, some quicker than others. Try checking the voltage output on the power supply by using a multimeter. Check each circuit the power supply supports.

Mother board connection:
unnotched side
Lead 1 orange (+3.3 volts) (acceptable range +3.1 to +3.5 V)
2 orange (+3.3 volts) (acceptable range +3.1 to +3.5 V)
3 black (Ground)
4 red (+5 volts) (acceptable range +4.5 to +5.5 V)
5 black (Ground)
6 red (+5 volts) (acceptable range +4.5 to +5.5 V)
7 black (Ground)
8 gray (Power Good)
9 purple (+5 volts) (acceptable range +4.5 to +5.5 V)
10 yellow (+12 volts) (acceptable range +10.8 to +13.2 V)
notched side
Lead 11 orange (+3.3 volts) (acceptable range +3.1 to +3.5 V)
12 blue (-12 volts) (acceptable range -10.8 to -13.2 V)
13 black (Ground)
14 green
15 black (Ground)
16 black (Ground)
17 black (Ground)
18 white (-5 volts) (acceptable range -4.5 to -5.5 V)
19 red (+5 volts) (acceptable range +4.5 to +5.5 V)
20 red (+5 volts) (acceptable range +4.5 to +5.5 V)

P8 Connectors
Lead 1 orange (Power Good)
2 red (Not use or +5 V DC) (acceptable range +4.4 to +5.2 V)
3 yellow (+12 V DC) (acceptable range +10.8 to +13.2 V)
4 blue (-12 V DC) (acceptable range -10.8 to -13.2 V)
5 black (ground)
6 black (ground)
P9 Connectors
Lead 7 black (ground)
8 black (ground)
9 white (-5 V DC) (acceptable range -4.5 to -5.5 V)
10 red (+5 V DC) (acceptable range +4.5 to +5.5 V)
11 red (+5 V DC) (acceptable range +4.5 to +5.5 V)
12 red (+5 V DC) (acceptable range +4.5 to +5.5 V)

Edited by mgabriel, 23 November 2009 - 06:30 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Direct to: longleyleeds
Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Direct to: mgabriel
Having someone check voltages is very dangerous. Also. You are assuming it is a desktop (it probably is based on OP stating "fan comes on", but we need to confirm.

Direct to: PrettyBOYY
Is this a desktop? or a laptop?
Have you tried safe mode? that would be F8 during startup.
Assuming a desktop....Have you tried another PSU?

123runner

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Checking voltage on a power supply can be dangerous. If you do have another power supply that does work, try swapping that power supply. If not, the only way to test the power suppy is with a multimeter or go out and buy a power supply tester. I paid $10.00 for mine at new egg (which comes in handy when fixing other computers)

When the power supply starts dying it will start affecting the performance of the computer ie, boot lagging or not starting.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Here is were you can get a power supply tester http://www.newegg.co...p;name=PC-Tools

Advertisements

PrettyBOYY

PrettyBOYY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Direct to: longleyleeds
Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Direct to: mgabriel
Having someone check voltages is very dangerous. Also. You are assuming it is a desktop (it probably is based on OP stating "fan comes on", but we need to confirm.

Direct to: PrettyBOYY

123runner

well i cant run it on anything because the screen doesnt show... its just a blank screen. i dont have another psu at the moment to try it out.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

PrettyBOYY

PrettyBOYY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

its a desktop, i dont have another psu to try it. i dont wanna buy another psu if it isnt the cause of the problem. the screen doesnt show so i can't run it on safe mode.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
do you know how to check voltage or do you know someone who can? A cheap and easy way to check is to use a multimeter. If you don't know how, consult with someone who does like an electrician. If the power supply is not putting out the right voltage than it need to be replace.

Have you add any additional hardware? If you add additional hardware, the power supply you have now may not be enough power.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Have you tried safe mode? that would be F8 during startup

(it loads default drivers and default graphics)

the screen doesnt show so i can't run it on safe mode

Have you tried?
Can you get into the bios?
Is the cmos/ bootup screen showing?
Since it is a desktop....can you try another monitor? to eliminate the monitor.