Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP wont boot after running ComboFix

• Please log in to reply

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
If its just possible, then of course. I have pics of the rp list, is there any way to see which one would work, without just testing till one works?

Edit: Tried it, first of all it asked for the admin password which it didn't at the first time, it was blank. After that I got the access denied, tried the instructions you gave for it and this is what happened:

It says that the system.bak folder or file already exists.

I tried it again, but still doesn't work.

Edited by Hevis, 22 November 2009 - 02:26 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't see much point in trying another restore points.can you try booting in safe mode now?

Your next option is to try again windows repair. Frankly, I hardly use this procedure because very often it fail, leaving you worse, sometimes, then when you started.

Unless a registry expert (which I am not) can have his input on this topic I think that this way or the other you will end up reformatting.

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I don't see much point in trying another restore points.can you try booting in safe mode now?

Actually I can boot in safe mode now :), everything seems to be intact. How do I continue from here on? No activation pop ups have popped up.

Thank you for your help :)

Edited by Hevis, 23 November 2009 - 12:13 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What happens when you try to boot to normal mode? Do you still get the popups?

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Still getting the popup, and not getting further than the log in screen (and my wallpaper), just as I described earlier.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know how to solve this problem. Please approach Microsoft support in your country and ask them for help with activating windows. They may email you a windows genuine advantage notification patch which you may be able to install in safe mode. This could open the activation windows, hopefuly. Altenatively, they may be able to activate windows by the telephone.

If other people know how to continue from this point, please advise.

Please keep us updated. I am interested with the results.

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'll keep you updated on what happens.. I did a little googling and this sounds just about the right thing to do:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295

If its not in English you can change it in the top right corner by clicking "Muuta".

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That looks like a smart one.

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
What happened was that when I tried the support thing mentioned there, I didn't find all the files in my computer. Also the search function was missing.

Well, anyways I got my things backed up to my external HDs and (sadly) had to format and reinstall XP.

Thank you for all your help trying to solve this tricky problem, without you I wouldn't have managed to backup any of my files.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

Advertisements