Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU or PSU?

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello,
Sorry to butt in, but since the release of Catalyst 8.10, you can manually adjust the fan speed of your GPU. By nature, the HD4850 runs quite warm, so adjusting your fan speed may fix your problem. Once you enter CCC and you're under the ATI overdrive tab, increase the fan speed to 100% and see if this fixes your problem. What you are describing are called artifacts, these can be caused by a number of issues, ranging from glitches in the games itself (usually attributed by poor drivers), but more predominantly, they are caused by excessive heat which over long term can and will damage your GPU. The fact that your GPU is idling at 80* is worrisome, but what's really important is the load (peak) temperature, rather than the idle. Can you open GPU-Z again
- under the sensors table
- click the black arrow beside GPU temperature and select highest reading.
Please do the same for GPU Temp (DISPIO), GPU Temp.(MEMIO), GPU.Temp(SAHDERCORE).

Keep the application open and try gaming for an hour and report back with the results and include a screen shot of what GPU-Z reports. Also, make sure that you have changed the fan speed prior to doing this. If the artifacts have been occurring for a long time, you have probably already permanently damaged the GPU.
James

Attached Thumbnails

• fanspeed.jpg

Advertisements

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've increased the fan speed before, all it seems to do is just drain the power so much that my games dont work as well and eventually crash

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Can you please try it again. Increasing the fan speed will only draw an additional ~2W, the games wouldn't crash due to a lack of power caused by 2W more being pulled from the fan, though we are probably looking <1W increase. If you really believe your PSU is at fault here, can you tell us what your PSU model number is?
James

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good call James_8970
This will show if the PSU is indeed a issue and\or if the GPU is not working correctly. If it is indeed pulling to much then it could be a sign of the 12 volt rail failing.

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No.1 i cant chagne the speed of the fans... CCC wont start, no.2 i dunno what my psu number is... its a OCZ stealth stream 500 which is about all i can get from the box

Naito

Naito

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well its not 1 hour... or Crysis but i tested it for a bit with CoD 6... like i said its usually 90Cish

Image4.jpg