Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop for web browsing only

• Please log in to reply

valleyboy

valleyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hi,

I'm looking for a laptop to use for web browsing only, must have Wifi. I'm after a bargain basement or second hand piece of kit. Any suggestions? Can I get something for 50 quid or less?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
for the Internet 512ram is enough, many people will be trying to flog their old computers now thinking that, because that won't vista that needs 1gb ram to work and 2gb to work well, that their computer is some sort of writeoff, well let them think that then, and buy it from them for peanuts, convert the computer to run linux, which is normally the firefox browser, with open office for Word and excel, etc., and be amazed at the speed of the malwarefree system which is both anonymous in nature and free of price, just don't tell others what you're up to and you will have an endless supply of decent computers at that price

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Sounds good to me. But how much will Linux cost?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Linux is free and there are many different types to choose from. Go HERE and take a look. BTW in the right hand corner is a add for a Laptop with Linux installed. :) :)
I have just completed installing Linux on my system as my 3rd OS system and I like it alot. I use one called Mandriva.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
nothing, linux is free, you simply download the ISO image onto a computer, burn it to a CD with something like Nero to make it bootable, and then boot up onto the CD seeing if you like what you see, and if you do, install from there, simply unlike windows, you don't have to install first finding out that there is a problem after doing so, so no, you test run your system first loading onto the ram which is slow but only a test after all, and then, and only then do you install to the harddrive

another idea, is to google if there is a LUG, (linux user group) in your area and they will be glad to help you I'm sure, btw here's a link then but there are many flavors of linux so if you see another that pleases you more, go for it

http://www.geekstogo...ux-t187713.html

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good write up fleamailman. :)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks, I am out of practice in replying, seems you replied first then

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem but I believe you are more qualified to help with the Linux questions as I am a newbie with Linux and still learning.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I'll just digress a bit here, the real issue with windows for me is that it is not anonymous, that is the license number is noted when getting updates, the WGA too, tells them who one is, whereas with linux, its a clone, one is truly anonymous

in fact, I have been on linux for years now, but still don't know much because it never seems to go wrong

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thanks both for your advice, I appreciate it.

I will definately give this a go, just need to find a truly cheap laptop first. I haven't had a look at the above link yet.

Advertisements

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Go HERE and take a look. BTW in the right hand corner is a add for a Laptop with Linux installed. :) :)
Mandriva.

Can't find any reference to the laptop with Linux installed?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe and I'm sure my esteem colleague will agree if you are going to buy a new laptop and you want to go to Linux then buy one that is already installed with Linux. This will make the learning curve a little easier as you will have only it to use. We have some great Linux people and they would be happy to help you if you have any questions with learning the version you get.
If the laptop doesn't show up on the page then on the right side you can look in Hardware I believe it is to find laptops already loaded with linux. This should help make your search a lot easier.
Feel free to post anything you find and want to know any further suggestions. We are happy to help you with your search.

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thanks again. Good advice. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
FYI there is a forum for other OS's which Linux is classified in that.
It is located HERE :) :)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
the only trouble with new laptops, which have linux pre installed, is that their linux isn't the full version in my view, so it's better to install a full version on an old laptop, my advise is simply to see if you can find someone who is running linux already, or pick up the magazine in the newsagents, getting the contact address there then, as any linux user will tend to put you in the right direction, which linux doesn't really matter to begin with, and I've lost count of the number of people I have helped install linux to, remember to get a laptop with 512ram second hand nothing more fancy is needed, and have a look at linux from youtube streams to get some idea of what linux is about, linux is great for netbooks too