Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE8 "about:tabs" page changed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

High_Tech_Redneck

High_Tech_Redneck

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello,

NOTE: I now have a 64-bit system, with Vista Home Premium and Internet Explorer 8.

I installed Hypercam screen recorder and Hypercam toolbar. Afterwards, when I open a new tab in IE8, I receive this website instead of the "What would you like to do..." page:

http://www.bigseekpr...7D?s_src=newtab

I have uninstlled Hypercam recorder, Hypercam/BigSeekPro toolbar and reinstalled and uninstalled those programs again. After doing so, I found a website where a Microsoft support engineer suggested this fix:

1. Click Start

2. In ‘Start Search’ type regedit, press Enter (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

3. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs

4. Right-click Tabs, then click Modify…
5. Change the “Value data:” to:
res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm

6. Click OK

I tried this process to no avail, but there's a twist:

My 32-bit version of Internet Explorer is the one with the new tab page changed, my 64-bit version still has the original "about:tabs" - (What would you like to do now...) page.

Is there a different registry key, other than the one listed above, for the 32-bit version of IE8? Is it possible I was editing the 64-bit key? That would explain why the registry key I checked already had the value listed above.

Any help would be appreciated on how to restore the IE8 (32-bit) new tab page to its original state.

Thank you. :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, don't double post.
Topic closed.