Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I perform a clean OS install

• Please log in to reply

kfoster

kfoster

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I got a new HD and I want to do a OS install. I have Windows 98 with XP upgrade. The drive is formatted and ready to go.
I put the Windows setup disk in, but the computer does not recognized the drive( the CD). I have a motherboard driver disk, but I can't load it. Can someone give me a step by step, 1st grader version, of setting up the OS?

Advertisements

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Can anyone help me?? :tazz:

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Ok,

Make sure the CD drive is intalled correctly. You could do a few things. Here are two:
1. Go into the bios (something like hit a key to go into setup) and try to automatically configure it.
2. Buy a floppy that will install the drive.
Hope this helps,
Paul Rosenthal
http://www.testingan...thcomputers.com

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
do you have a windows 98 boot floppy? This will have a cd rom driver included and give you access to the cd drive. Boot to that, then do your install. You will need to have your windows 98 install cd for the upgrade to xp to validate in order to complete the install.

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I changed out my old CD drive with a DVD drive, will the CD driver from the from the Windows disk work or do I have to install my old drive? Also what about the motherboard disk. When do I install this or is it necessary with Windows XP?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start your computer and drop into bios....look for boot order and make certain that your CD is the first boot device.

Save and reboot.

Insert the windows xp upgrade disk and reboot. Windows setup will begin from the CD....you don't need anything else. In fact, it sounds like you formatted with a windows setup disk and formatted with fat32.

I would delete the partition and let windows xp setup create it and format it ntfs.

Several steps into the installation, windows setup will inform you this is an upgrade and you need to supply proof you have an upgradeable product. Remove the windows xp disk, insert the windows 98*admin cd, hit enter, windows will acknowledge the previous OS, reinsert the xp disk and hit enter.

Windows install will finish