Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows setup going bad

• Please log in to reply

Pedro Freitas

Pedro Freitas

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a compaq presario cq60 laptop which is having problems. Every time i try to boot it gets to win xp loading and auto restarts himself. I tryed reinstalling win xp using xp cd and at cd boot I come to a screen that shows this:

File ini910.sys caused an unexpected error (32768) at line 3540 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup.c

Setup failed. Press any key to restart your computer

Can anybody tell me if this is software or hardware error and if there is a fix?

Thank you for help.

Edited by Pedro Freitas, 24 November 2009 - 06:28 PM.

Advertisements

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello Pedro Freitas and welcome to geeks to go

I am guessing that your XP is not being formatted correctly. Please follow these steps and format your hard drive. Here

NOTE: THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR C DRIVE! IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE COMPUTER, YOU MAY BE UNABLE TO REPLY!

- Sometimes Needs Help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Pedro is this a Genuine Microsoft XP installation disk or a burned copy? Could this disk be a Recovery disk?
Is there a sticker on the bottom of the laptop with a reg key and original OS loaded on the system?

Pedro Freitas

Pedro Freitas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's a burned one, but the same that installed the xp that i am runing here and it's working fine. And it's not a recovery disk just a normal disk.
It came with Windows vista home basic, but i don't have any recovery disc for it. Only for a pc that came with vista professional.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It came with Windows vista home basic

What reg key are you using then because the reg key on the laptop will not work since it is for Vista

Pedro Freitas

Pedro Freitas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
A reg key from my pc (the one im here now) but that doesn't matter, it never comes to ask the reg key.. it doesn't even get to the screen where it asks if I want to install or repair

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It does matter because you said the system had Vista originally and you are loading XP

It came with Windows vista home basic

Also a burned cd very rarely will work as there is usually a file missing when burned.
Also it is illegal to install the same reg key on two systems at the same time.

A reg key from my pc (the one im here now) but that doesn't matter

So yes it does matter.