Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do internal cable modems exist?

• Please log in to reply

JohnathanF

JohnathanF

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is a weird question but, do internal cable modems exist? Not NIC's. I mean, I was just thinking, it would be nice to be able to have a coaxial cable input sticking out of the back of my PC, rather than a separate box with separate wires. Yeah, I know I'd have to have a short one or two inch ethernet cable running from the cable modem "card" or whatever, to my NIC. And another power input sticking out. But I figured that either some weird small company may make something like this, or I could open up and mod a cable modem to be inside the PC. What do you guys think?

The only negative concern I could think of is extra heat generated. Other than that, if the heat isn't too much, less wires and equipment, easier portability, etc. Maybe even instead of having the power cord to the modem plugged into the PC, it could be moded to run off of power from the PSU, internally?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
They do exist, however it's a pain in the proverbial behind if you want to add extra computers later on to share the connection.
They're simply glorified modems, you can get them for ISDN lines, ADSL lines and DSL lines.
However they may be more expensive than the cheapest standard wireless router.

Edited by Neil Jones, 26 November 2009 - 03:16 AM.