Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Infection - Unsure after Scans

• Please log in to reply

Timkins

Timkins

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there. I just recently stumbled onto this great site after asking a few people about their knowledge in malware detection.

My issue is that I do scans every few days with a number of programs, just to make sure that there is nothing that could be affecting me. My most active programs are Spybot, AVG, Ad-Aware, and Webroot Antivirus. Normally, I just come up with a few cookies but I'm almost convinced that I have an undetectable rootkit.

I've followed the guide listed in this forum for progress but my problem is that I've gotten to the rootkit program, Rootrepeal and it never finishes. I've left it on overnight and it simply seems to freeze and I'm forced to shut it down manually. I've had the same issue with the program Rootkit Revealer so now I'm a bit frustrated at what I can do to solve this issue.

Edit:
Just an update, I've apparently just installed some normal Windows updates and afterwords, I've had programs seriously begin to act up. I constantly have Mozilla Firefox crashing on me. It would crash without loading the page before I re-installed it but now the crashes seem random when loading different pages.

I've also had some programs become corrupt or damaged for no reason at all. It seems as if these updates have triggered a pretty nasty effect and I still can't scan anything. I'm debating whether to reformat my computer and start all over, but I'm hoping for a chance here.

Edit2:
Everything has gone from happy land to [bleep] in two days after those updates. I'm getting blue screens of death now. Someone had mentioned that it may be a hardware issue, but I have no idea how to check for those. All my computer parts with the exception of the processor are still new so I'd be a bit angry if that happened to be the issue.

Thank you for your time. :)

~ Timkins

Edited by Timkins, 26 November 2009 - 07:56 AM.

Advertisements