Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Sata II drive locks up PC

• Please log in to reply

Mr. Jess

Mr. Jess

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay so here are the relevant system specs, let me know if I left anything else out.
Mobo: Asus SK8V (Via K8T800)
New HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB drive sata300 [installed to sata2 connection](http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148337)
Old HDD: Maxtor 7200 120GB (sata150)[installed to sata1 connection]
Windows XP Pro SP3

The Maxtor drive has worked since I built the system, no problems. I got this new drive, slapped it in the second Sata port, verified it was not one of the raid connectors and powered my machine on, and it posted and everything just fine. Once the windows loading screen popped up the machine locked up, would sit for maybe 5 minutes before automatically restarting. Here is roughly the TSing I've done so far.

unplugged the new drive, verified windows still loads as per normal.
switched the maxtor to sata2 connection, verified it boots correctly.
plugged in the seagate to sata1 connection, freezes with both drives connected.
unplugged the maxtor, and tried the seagate in both sata1 and sata2 connections as the sole hdd, both times bios reports no device is plugged.

jumper the seagat to sata150 mode, bios still report no device plugged in from either connection.

So I started jumping into bios settings, sata is enabled. I tried disabling onboard promise raid, on a whim, no results. Tried reserving IRQ3 and 4 for sata1 and sata2 respectively with no results. Tried disabling and the renenabling the sata boot rom, no luck.

I checked and the bios seem to be the most up to date that Asus offers, and American Megatrends doesn't offer any for asus boards.

The thing that is confusing me, the bios reports that it doesn't recognize any other drive, but windows will consistently lock up if the Seagate is plugged in at the same time the Maxtor is. If just the maxtor, windows loads just fine. That just seems plain wacky, if the mobo isn't recognizing the seagate, then it shouldn't impact anything when it is plugged in. I suspected this could be a low power issue, so I plugged the power into the seagate, and the maxtor loaded windows just fine.

I'm about spent for ideas, any suggestions. Just plain incompatible?

Advertisements

Mr. Jess

Mr. Jess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Nothing eh? Yes this is a shameless bump.