Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Auto refreshed web pages hibernate XP laptop

• Please log in to reply

Neal Giovanni

Neal Giovanni

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello I am Neal Giovanni. I am new to that site so if this is posted in the wrong location or a similar problem has been posted please forgive me.

My problem is this, I am maintaining a website for a ministry which has recently moved their website. They had me put up a redirection page at the old website. I went to test it out and whenever the page goes to redirect, XP goes into hibernation. I have tried several different ways of redirecting including PHP, JavaScript and Meta tags all with the same result. When the delay time, that lets a visitor read that the site has moved, has run out XP hibernates. I have never read of that problem anywhere before and have no idea how to fix it. I have run several anti-virus and anti-malware programs and the system repeatedly comes up clean.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Advertisements

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello Neal Giovanni and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Malware scans are not a solution I am guessing.
Here are a few questions:

1.) Have you tried the redirection on a different PC? If so, are the results the same?
2.) Do you currently have hibernate enabled? Check this by going to Start>Shut Down>See if you can click hibernate.

Please post with your results.

-Sometimes Needs Help

Neal Giovanni

Neal Giovanni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your help. Yes, Hibernation is enabled for that computer. I use it all the time and no it doesn't restart other computers I have tried it on, including other computers with Hiberatnion enabled. (I have tried the page on likr 5 other computers including both desktops and laptops.)

The computer that it causes to hibernate is an ASUS EEE PC netbook - it was a model 900 something I forget the exact number. It has an Intel Atom 1.6 Gig CPU and 2 Gig of ram. My nephew has an identical model netbook with Hibernation enabled and it doesn't trigger the hibernation in his netbook so I doubt it has anything to do with the hardware or Hibernation itself.

One difference I have noted is that I have a program that monitors the battery level that I prefer over the built in battery monitor. None of the other computers I have tested use that program so I thought that might be it. However.
even if I prevent that program from starting up and restart the computer to make sure it isn't in memory, redirecting web pages still cause the computer to hibernate.

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Download Autoruns from here.

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

-Sometimes Needs Help

Neal Giovanni

Neal Giovanni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, sorry it took so long to get back. I couldn't get time to use the computer for a couple of days.

The Autoruns.txt is included with this post.

Attached Files