Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sleep mode

• Please log in to reply

Jeanne K.

Jeanne K.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have recently upgraded to Windows 7. One problem that I am having is that prior to the upgrade, when I used Vista and regular networking, when I tried to access a file on my desktop while in sleeping mode, I was able to access the file on the network. Because the computer is in another room, I really am not sure if this woke up the desktop or not. After installing Windows 7, it just will not let me access the other computer remotely with physically getting up, going into the other room and waking it up manually?

A couple of things that I have done are:
-Under the power setting of the lan, allow to wake is checked.
-I looked under my bios and the wake on lan from 5.5 choice is greyed out so I couldn't do anything there - plus I haven't changed anything there and it used to work.

Is there any way around this? Obviously, for power reasons, I'm not going to leave the desktop on all the time just in case I decide to try to access a file from my laptop in another room??

I'm not too happy right now with windows 7..........

Edited by Jeanne K., 26 November 2009 - 09:27 AM.

Advertisements