Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

downloading problem with laptop

• Please log in to reply

mikesmith12

mikesmith12

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well after numerous days of trying to fix my problem I give up. My isp is videotron which is high speed cable. I have a desktop which is connected to router (wrt160n linksys)and also a laptop. Desktop is working excellent and so was the laptop until a few days ago. speedtests have been made on bothe computers and they are where they should be.

My problem is when I visit a site (laptop) like download.cnet and run a download from there my transfer rate is 850 kb/sec which is pretty good. When I try to down load a pic(1.7mb) from my inbox I get a trasnfer rate not more than 200kb/sec. I have visited some other sites before this problem occured and my transfer rate was no less than 600kb/- 735kb/sec now my transfer rate at the same sites is not more than 160-190 kb/sec.I have ran anti virus programs and everything seems to be clear. I believe that my problem is comming directly from my laptop and not from the router or my connection to my isp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Hardwire laptop straight to the modem and see, if same thing happens.
Reset modem, first.

Are we talking about wireless connection here?

mikesmith12

mikesmith12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hardwire laptop straight to the modem and see, if same thing happens.
Reset modem, first.

Are we talking about wireless connection here?

Yes wireless.. hardwired laptop works fine in the email and other sites.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

hardwired laptop works fine

Hardwired to the router, or straight to the modem?

mikesmith12

mikesmith12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

hardwired laptop works fine

Hardwired to the router, or straight to the modem?

Through the router..modem connected to the router.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you try to reinstall wireless driver?

mikesmith12

mikesmith12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Did you try to reinstall wireless driver?

No..here's a silly question, how?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go to your computer manufacturer site, download wireless adapter driver, uninstall current one and install fresh one.

mikesmith12

mikesmith12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Go to your computer manufacturer site, download wireless adapter driver, uninstall current one and install fresh one.

Downloade and installed fresh driver..no go still the same.

Socorro

Socorro

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Usually when you buy the router, it goes with a manual instruction. You can check the book and check if you have installed it properly.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd definitely visit a friend/family member and see how is your wireless speed at their place. If it's better, that would mean some router problem.

mikesmith12

mikesmith12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'd definitely visit a friend/family member and see how is your wireless speed at their place. If it's better, that would mean some router problem.

Well I just changed routers got a new netgear router.. the router is faster than the linksys but my problem still remains! Again I get 2 diffrerent download transfer rates, from download.cnet I get 750 - 870 kb/sec and from the Sony site when I download get 140 - 190 kb/sec.

The interesting thing is from download.cnet I get the message from IE information bar "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options" Whereas from the Sony site I don't get the information bar I just get if I wan't to run or save the download.

Edited by mikesmith12, 29 November 2009 - 09:56 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, it's quite normal to have different speeds from different sites. The speed will also differ on very same site, depending on how busy that site is at the moment.
Go to: http://www.speedtest.net/
Check your speed at different time of the day and see, if it compares to your ISP advertised speed.

As for the message, it's normal.
Whenever you hit a web page, which wants to install ActiveX, you'll get that message.
More info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843017

mikesmith12

mikesmith12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Well, it's quite normal to have different speeds from different sites. The speed will also differ on very same site, depending on how busy that site is at the moment.
Check your speed at different time of the day and see, if it compares to your ISP advertised speed.

As for the message, it's normal.
Whenever you hit a web page, which wants to install ActiveX, you'll get that message.
More info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843017

I know it's normal to have different speeds at different times but the transfer rate is not normal falling by 500 kb/sec. There are other sites that my transfer rate was 750 kb and now anytime I visit the site not more than 140- 190 kb. Any ideas what I can try next?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts