Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot see programs in XP Prof

• Please log in to reply

lasersedge

lasersedge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's my story. I have a toshiba laptop running XP Home. I was getting the constant restarting from last known cofig page. Could not get past anything via safe mode etc.... The only disc's that I have are the manufacturers recovery disc that will wipe out the drive and reinstall.

I have a XP Pro disc and key so I got in to the recovery console and ran chkdsk /r and everything came back clean but it would still reboot to last known config. Trying over and over I could not get past that point.

I tried installing the XP Pro without formatting my partition and managed to get that to boot up but there are no programs listed in the All Programs area of the Start button.

I went into DOS and see all the programs still there and am able to get the explorer window up to manuver around and get the 1 of the 2 key backup files I thought I had backed up but didnt.

I see my Microsoft Outlook 2003 pst file. Its huge at 4.6Gb and I cannot seem to copy or drag and drop to a 16Gb flash. It keeps telling me that the drive is full when there is nothing on it.

If I can get this file I will format and do a clean install of XP Pro.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Advertisements