Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First build and looking for advice.

• Please log in to reply

Daclivont

Daclivont

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I'm starting planing my first pc build for a new gaming pc with good overclocking potential and would like to know how my plan looks so far and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Motherboard EVGA - X58 SLI LE ATX Motherboard 1600MHz

Processor Intel® - Core™ i7-920 Processor

RAM Memory Master - 2-Pack 2GB PC3-10666 DDR3 DIMM Memory Kit (will add more later)

Power Supply Corsair - 750W ATX CPU Power Supply

HDD Seagate - 1TB Internal Hard Drive

Optical Drive Undecided

Graphics Card Undecided

OS Windows 7 home premium 64bit

Case Undecided

Advertisements

The Craven

The Craven

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just a recommendation, but for optical drives, look at buying two WD Caviar 500GB drives, and configuring them in RAID 0. Ultra high capacity and bit rate, but low in price. For graphics, I'd look towards Radeon. Right now, Radeon cards are both faster AND cheaper than nVidia (and I'm a nVidia fan, mind you). The 5750 and above are all great choices, and the 5970 is beyond insanity, with 2GB onboard. When it comes to cases, think about future plans. If you don't plan on doing much more with this system after you complete the build, look at the Antec 900 or Thermaltake Element G. They are both visually attractive, and not overpriced, while still allowing you plenty of room to grow if you want to. If you are looking to do some serious mods later on, try the Cooler Master HAF (High Air Flow) 922 and 932. They are very similar in looks, but the 932 is a good bit larger and will hold anything you can find, while still having room for you to add a mini-fridge and throw in a six pack.

Daclivont

Daclivont

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
The two WD Caviar 500GB set up as RAID 0 does seem better. For a case I'm currently looking at the Antec-Twelve Hundred. I am also thinking of trying an NVIDIA graphics card for something new. All of my previous computers have been AMD processors and ATI cards so I'm thinking of branching out lol. Will the mother board support an ATI card in one PCI express slot and an NVIDIA in another so I can test both out?

The ATI Radeon 5970 seems like a great starter.

And, for an optical drive possibly LG - 8x Internal Blu-ray Disc Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive

Changed my mind on the ram too :)

So with that it leaves me looking like this now:

Motherboard: EVGA - X58 SLI LE ATX Motherboard 1600MHz

Processor: Intel® - Core™ i7-920 Processor

RAM: OCZ Technology Gold 6GB(3x2GB) DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module - OCZ3G1333LV6GK (will add more later)

Power Supply: Corsair - 750W ATX CPU Power Supply

HDD: 2x500g HDD RAID 0

Optical Drive: LG - 8x Internal Blu-ray Disc Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive

Graphics Card: Diamond Radeon HD 5750 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual DVI, Dipslay Port, HDMI

Case Antec: - Twelve Hundred Computer Case - Black

Totaling around $1434.92

Edited by Daclivont, 28 November 2009 - 01:36 PM.