Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Please I could use some feedback on this Security setup

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my current setup for Security on my PC. Firewall - Windows XP, Router, Vipre Antivirus + Antispyware, Prevx 3.0 paid version, and secondary on demand scanner Hitman Pro Paid version. Do i need to get a 3rd party firewall. i Had Online Armor Premium and it messed with Vipre Icon in system tray made it disappear uninstalled it and now icon is back. I tried Outpost Free and that totally froze PC. I'm not a fan of COMODO, and Zone Alarm free is a nag screen festival. plus it is not so good at that firewall test site Maseotuc sorry my spelling is really bad. any input on whether current setup is adequate or advise on a nice firewall would be welcome thank you

Edited by Sixwire, 28 November 2009 - 11:33 AM.

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
You have to much that is going to conflict and create false positives.

You should only have 1 anti-virus scanner. Definitely not 2 on demand scanners.
For a firewall, the built in XP only offers inbound.
Zonealarm is a good one. You said you do not like it because it is annoying, but once it is set up then the annoyance gos away.

We also recommend a spyware scanner and a malware scanner.

Have you looked at our guide http://www.geekstogo...ng-t225044.html?Go down to Security Programs

• 34,114 posts
Comodo Firewall is pretty good also and it provides both in and outbound protection.