Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please I could use some feedback on this Security setup

• Please log in to reply

Sixwire

Sixwire

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my current setup for Security on my PC. Firewall - Windows XP, Router, Vipre Antivirus + Antispyware, Prevx 3.0 paid version, and secondary on demand scanner Hitman Pro Paid version. Do i need to get a 3rd party firewall. i Had Online Armor Premium and it messed with Vipre Icon in system tray made it disappear uninstalled it and now icon is back. I tried Outpost Free and that totally froze PC. I'm not a fan of COMODO, and Zone Alarm free is a nag screen festival. plus it is not so good at that firewall test site Maseotuc sorry my spelling is really bad. any input on whether current setup is adequate or advise on a nice firewall would be welcome thank you

Edited by Sixwire, 28 November 2009 - 11:33 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You have to much that is going to conflict and create false positives.

You should only have 1 anti-virus scanner. Definitely not 2 on demand scanners.
For a firewall, the built in XP only offers inbound.
Zonealarm is a good one. You said you do not like it because it is annoying, but once it is set up then the annoyance gos away.

We also recommend a spyware scanner and a malware scanner.

Have you looked at our guide http://www.geekstogo...ng-t225044.html?Go down to Security Programs

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Comodo Firewall is pretty good also and it provides both in and outbound protection.