Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don't have D drive

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You wont be able to "remove" until you confirm something.
Click on remove and see what comes up.

What I am hoping to see is that you will have a window with the letters C and G in it.
I am hoping you can just click on G ONLY and that C does not get highlited for removal.
You should then see another warning about removing just G

Rshaffer61 you are going to have to take over. I am doing a lock in for scouts and have 1 foot out the door

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Member 2k

I do not know what you are looking at BUT CD-rom 0 IS labeled E.

YOU ONLY WANT THE SYSTEM DRIVE TO BE C.

You should see in the FIRST posting of the screen picture, it has the CD Rom as E AND the drive as D AND E. That is what I was talking about. Now, there is no E drive, just the CD ROM as you say.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
I'm not talking about the CD Rom. In the first screen capture it has the D drive with the letter as E also. In the last picture it doesn't.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Well it won't let me remove it either.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, here is a question for you. If I start all over and wipe everything clean and re install windows again, will that fix all this? And question 2, will it put my drives back to where I have just the C & D drives? Earlier, I was trying to d/l yahoo. messenger and it said there wasn't enough drive space to d/l it. So the third question is this, if I do wipe it all off and start over, can someone help me install it and make sure the partitions are correct this time? Or is it just as easy to try and fix it the way we are doing it now?

And again, thank you for ALL the help.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Woodworks....It sounds as you are confused on what is a drive and what is a partition.

The screenshot in the 1st picture in post 21 shows 2 hard drives (disc 0 and disc 1)
Disc 0 is the system disc. It is 1 physical hard drive. It is 18.61gb and is labeled local disc (C:) and (G:). It is only 1 partition.
Disc 1 is another physical hard drive. It is 6.01gb. It has 2 partitions.
The 1st partition is labeled (E:) and (C:) and is 8mb. The 2nd partition is labeled D: and is 6gb.

In post 23 you stated

Ok, I'm not real sure if I did it correctly or not, but it won't let me change it. It had a couple of options but I wasn't sure if I should try it or not.
I did change the D drive to unpartition. Hope that doesn't matter. I would like to have the D and E drives back to one D drive.

The 2nd picture you posted shows that somehow you got disc 1 to be only 1 partition labeled D: and 6gb in size.
The 2nd picture also shows there is still a lettering issue with disc 0 (the system disc labeled C: and G:)

The 2nd disc labeled disc 1 is perfectly fine. It is 1 letter as it should be.
You have 2 DVD's labeled CD-ROM 0 (DVD E:) and CD-ROM 1 (DVD F:). There is nothing wrong with those.

So the following makes no sense at all.

No, this is what it was AFTER I renamed it C. It came back with that combonation. I also renamed the E drive to D. Now I don't see E drive at all...----->>>>This is from post 26

I'm not talking about the CD Rom. In the first screen capture it has the D drive with the letter as E also. In the last picture it doesn't.--------->>>>>>You do not have a E and D letter on the 2nd drive because you did something to it in post 23. That change is shown on the 2nd screen shot.

So to continue on

If you were unable to remove the G letter designation from the system disc, to my knowledge there is nothing else that can be done other than a reformat. The OS is confused with 2 letters for the drive.

Because the OS automatically assigns letters, you should be able to get back to a C,D,E,F designation.
If you reformat only the C/G drive, the other letters will fall in. If not, we can take care of that.

I assume that what you want is disc 0 to be formatted as 1 partition of 20gb (abt 18.61gb)
I also assume you want the other disc 1 to be left as it is at 6gb and 1 partition (It is only 6gb in size).
If this is true....
1. I would put any data you want to save on the other physical disc (labeled D)
2. I would remove the power connector from 1 of the DVD drives.
3. I would remove the power from the 2nd hard disc (D drive)
4. I would then reformat the C/G drive.

With the other drives disconnected, there will be NO confusion of you getting the correct drive for reformat because there will be only 1.
You would re-format the entire drive.

123runner

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Yes, I was getting them confused.

Copied: I assume that what you want is disc 0 to be formatted as 1 partition of 20gb (abt 18.61gb)

Yes to the above
Copied:
I also assume you want the other disc 1 to be left as it is at 6gb and 1 partition (It is only 6gb in size).
If this is true....

I'm also confused about the second paragraph about the 6gb partition. Yes I want to have The C drive as one partition for the OS and the D drive as the second partition. So if I am understanding you (or vice versa), then I just want one partition? That would be between the C and D?

At least somebody knows what their talking about and it sure isn't me. How will I know how to do it so that I end up with a C...D... and of course the two CD-Rom's?

Thanks.

Edited by woodworks, 06 December 2009 - 03:12 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It does get confusing about physical discs and partitions. There are a lot of different terminology for the same thing.
I won't even get in to extended partitions.

Please do not take offense to me continuing to go through this. I am trying to help you understand AND also to be sure of what you want.

The very last screen shot you did shows 2 physical hard discs. If you open your case (power off and turned off) you will see 2 hard discs and 2 CD/DVD drives.
Each hard disc can be partitioned. That is, broken done in to smaller sections. Each section is a partition.

You have 1 physical disc that is about 20gb.
You have another physical disc that is 6gb.

When you reformat the 20gb disc it will become C drive. The other 1 is already D drive.
That is what I recommend for you.
Follow my previous instructions about disconnecting the smaller drive.

To clear things up
If you look at the screen shot I have posted you will see that I have 4 physical discs.
Disc 0 is 150gb. It is broken up in to 4 partitions. They are labeled Main Drive C/ Programs D/ Folders F/ Xtra Programs F.
Disc 1 is 465gb and has 3 partitions.
Disc 2 is 190gb and has 1 partition (the full drive)
Disc 3 is 465gb and is 1 partition (the full drive).

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
No, I don't take offense. It takes a lot more then that to get to me. Especiall when I already know that I don't know.

But, you have me confused once again.

If I'm understanding you correctly, and I think I am, we are on the same page. I want the C drive and then the D drive. What I don't understand is when I insert the windows disc and it does it's thing, how do I keep the D partition as one? I look back and tried to understand it, but it's a bit too much for me. I am ready to install at this time.
Thanks again.

Edited by woodworks, 06 December 2009 - 04:53 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have disconnected the D drive then it will not be affected by what 123Runner is having you do to the main drive. Once Windows is reloaded then you will shut the system down and reconnect the D drive and boot back up. If everythig is done correctly you should end up with a C, D and E drive.

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

If you have disconnected the D drive then it will not be affected by what 123Runner is having you do to the main drive. Once Windows is reloaded then you will shut the system down and reconnect the D drive and boot back up. If everythig is done correctly you should end up with a C, D and E drive.

That's where I'm lost. I don't understand how to disconnect it. Maybe it's right in from of me, but I have been known to look right at something and not see or understand it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Shut the system down, disconnect the power cable from the back. Open the system.
Look inside and you should have 2 hard drives and two cd drives if I am correct.
Find the HD one and you should see two drives connected tot he same grey ribbon. One will be at the end of that ribbon. This is the one you need to leave connected.
There will be one connected to the middle of that ribbon and this is the one you need to disconnect. The easiest way to do this is to disconnect the power connector and that way the drive will not be active.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
As soon as I had posted, I thought to myself, I'll bet they are talking about getting inside the computer.

You are a mean person to make me do that. lol

Ok, I'll have to get things cleared off my desk and see what I can do. Right now I have to go eat and then I'll get started. It may be tomorrow before you hear from me again.

Thanks again guys.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Glad I could help. 123Runner hopefully will be back to continue with you tomorrow.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Well I thought everything was going well until I turned it off and tried to boot back up. It says...error loading operating system.

Now what?

Update:

I had shut it down and rebooted after plugging in the other drive and it wouldn't boot up. I shut down, went into BIOS and change it around and so far so good. I doesn't have the D letter, it has F instead, but at this point, I'm just gald it works and I'll live with it.

So I guess this is the end if this problem (hopefull)

If you know where I can get a driver for my sound, I would appreciate it. I had problems with it before and I found something that made it work, but since I wiped everything off, I have no clue what the name of it was.

As always, thank you guys again for all the help.

Edited by woodworks, 07 December 2009 - 01:25 PM.