Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista virus preventing malware scans

• Please log in to reply

Iain_

Iain_

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,

I'm having quite a severe virus issue. I've tried following the malware guide, but one of the virus effects is that it is not allowing me to open programs. I get error messages every few seconds, the most common one states that wuauclt.exe is infected. My virus scanner and malware protection seems to have been disabled and every couple of minutes IE opens to a website offering me to purchase 'Antivirus System Pro'. The same 'virus protection' is what is warning me of the infections, but I don't have it installed so I guess it is part of the virus effects. I have tried downloading a new virus scanner and I've tried system restore, but whenever the program activates it immediately closes with the error message 'consent.exe infected'.

I'm running Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop. I would love to provide more information, but like I said I cannot seem to run any programs.

Any help will be very much appreciated. I have used this website before and found it incredibly useful so thank you for the great documentation.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools