Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan.FakeAlert Affected Software Updates and Access to Firewall Sett

• Please log in to reply

mm114

mm114

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am at my wits end and not sure what else I can do. I had a fake virus scan occur on my PC twice and I didn't click on anything...just shut off Internet connection and shut down computer. I restarted computer in safe mode and ran Malwarebytes and it removed 3 instances of Trojan.FakeAlert. I ran Spybot and it also removed Fraud.Sysguard from my registry. I also ran AVG Free 8.5, SuperAntiSpyware, and CA Anti-Virus and CA Anti-Spyware (I have CA Security Suite 2007, which include Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Personal Firewall, and Anti-Spam) and nothing was found.

I found after removing the trojans that I was unable to update any of my anti-spyware programs...I just get an error when I try to update. I tried accessing the Application Control settings of CA Personal Firewall (where you can allow or deny programs...thought I could try re-adding all the software programs I am having issues with) and it just freezes.

I contacted CA and they told me to try reinstalling CA Personal Firewall (not the entire suite). After doing this, I still couldn't access the Application Control settings (program freezes up) and couldn't access the Internet at all because I wasn't able to add Firefox to the Firewall settings (Firefox had been there previously, but when I reinstalled, I think there are no programs listed). Therefore, I turned off CA Personal Firewall (but didn't uninstall) and turned on Microsoft Firewall. I'm not comfortable using just Microsoft Firewall, but I have no choice right now.

I am still not able to update any programs because I still get the errors. I am able to access the Internet through Firefox, but IE 6.0 won't let me access the Internet.

Also, I can't access the HTML emails in Outlook 2003. I just get red Xs. I have changed all settings to allow HTML, but I know it's due to this trojan problem.

I had done a system restore the first time I had this trojan (I thought I removed everything and then restored) and everything worked fine again, although I still couldn't access the CA Personal Firewall settings, but the trojan (Trojan.FakeAlert) came back the next day.

CA is telling me to uninstall AVG and then do a reinstall of the entire CA Security Suite to fix the issue. They think it's some compatibility issue and they said that is the reason I can't access the CA Personal Firewall Settings. I don't think this is the fix.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have rerun all anti-spyware programs in both Safe Mode and Normal Mode and nothing is found. All programs are up-to-date as of this week.

Advertisements