Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not delete a zero byte file

• Please log in to reply

rubinontheroad

rubinontheroad

• Pip
  • 8 posts
A file appeared on my desktop "IBrokenheartDogfacePizza." I mouse over and it says "type file, size 0 bytes and a date modified when it appeared. I try to open it and after picking something/anything to try to open it, nothing happens. I try to delete it and I get "Could not find this item, This is not longer located in C:\Users\Stan\Desktop, verify the item's location and try again..... I've tried all I know (which is not much) can somebody help. When I google the file name a French tech site comes up, no help there. I did find something that said it came from some person on "friendfeed" (Which I don't know or use), it also shows a file type gif, which is not with the file. I contacted them and they don't know anything either. I have tried to rename, change properties, cmd prompts, I've downloaded fileAssissan, Lockhunter, Ive scanned with Malwarebytes,cleaned and defragged and ccCleaned, tried other deleters and Move on Boot and nothing has helped. I know this is just an annoyance, but am I going to be stuck with this on my desktop forever? I'd appreciate any help offered, thanks, Stan

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Have you upgraded to Win 7 lately?

rubinontheroad

rubinontheroad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes I got an up-grade disc from MS and only did the upgrade (from vista)about two weeks ago. I did not do a clean install as I wanted to save all my settings and programs.....Stan

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suspect, it may be some upgrade leftover, but....

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

rubinontheroad

rubinontheroad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Brori, I've scanned and have found zip, but will do it again and return here if I still have the problem, thax again.....S

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try this at command prompt:
del C:\Users\Stan\Desktop\IBroke~1.*

rubinontheroad

rubinontheroad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
System can't find the path, thanks again

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Just wondering, you said you tried FileAssassin, was it able to successfully unlock the file ?
(just select unlock, not delete)

Is the file Read-Only ?

rubinontheroad

rubinontheroad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Brori
Downloaded TFC, used it, rebooted, file still there although it removed a bbuch of stuff....Thanks

Bartblaze
FileAssassin said there was nothing to unlock, no help. Properties will not let me change anything, same old, same old....Thanks

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go back to command prompt and type in:
dir C:\Users\Stan\Desktop /a /x /p
Hit Enter.
See, if the file is listed there and post its exact DOS name.

rubinontheroad

rubinontheroad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Brort
Here is what I got:

Directory of C:\Users\Stan\Desktop
(I an only putting what we're interested in)

11/16/2009 08:43 PM 0 IBROKE~2 IBrokenheartDogFacePizza

This is the first time that anything has shown up with the cmd prompt (Iguess it was me)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK.
Run this command:
del C:\Users\Stan\Desktop\IBROKE~2

rubinontheroad

rubinontheroad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Brort,
You are the man, the \IBROKE~2 did it. What can I do for you or geekstogo, I'm at your service, thanks again, Stan

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)
If you're a beer producer, you can send me a couple of bottles....LOL