Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't re-boot! Changed HDD

• Please log in to reply

RickPolite

RickPolite

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Running windows XP pro SP3
I restarted my computer and when it would start booting up it would flash a blue screen then restart the process. I loaded my XP Pro CD, tried safe mode, etc. I decided to replace the hard drive. Now when I run my CD to try and reload windows it hits a BSOD and I can't get it to do anything else. It's looking like there's another problem. Any Ideas?

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Can you post the exact Stop error you are receiving?

RickPolite

RickPolite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem solved. Has SATA HDD and XP Pro. Had to get it to a repair shop as I needed it for work. They couldn't reload XP because it was looking for another style HDD, IDE I believe and the manufacturer, Prostar, would only allow you to change the date and time in the BIOS. So they reloaded it with Vista. Make any sense?

Thanks so much for replying.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
They circumvented the actual issue.

They could not load XP because you had a SATA hard drive. XP does not have native drivers for the SATA drive. They need to be loaded by using the F6 key and you need the drivers on a floppy OR slipstreamed into the XP cd.

Another way that usually works is setting the drive up in bios to be an ide drive.

If installed as an ide drive, the install would have gone through without a hitch.

As I said, they circumvented the problem by using Vista. Vista has all the drivers for SATA drives.

I assume everything is working to your satisfaction?
And thanks for letting us know.

123runner