Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice for how to reduce lag!

• Please log in to reply

ryanrog

ryanrog

• Pip
  • 3 posts
****EDIT****

Okay guys, i just went out to my local Staples and bought myself a new card. Im not sure if it will work so here is what i bought.

GeForce 9400 GT

1024 MB DDR2

x16 PCO express

Supports microsoft directX 10

Here is the link to the actual product if that helps :

http://www.staples.c...p;storeId=10001

If anyone could tell me if that is compatible with my computer that would be wonderful. Also if this is a good card, and will i need this much for gaming? Thanks a lot for the help in advance!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there everyone, im new to this site as you probably can tell if a post count and join date is listed. Anyways, i was very interested in getting a new graphics card and also maybe some more memory for my computer to help me enjoy the games i play much more.

I am looking for a graphics card that would allow me to play WoW (World of warcraft) lag-free. Im not sure if the graphics card is the issue here, it could be the amount of memory i have or something im overlooking totally. Any advice on how to cut down the lag and make it run more smoothly would help a ton!

Any tips appreciated such as ways to reduce lag without altering my computer as well as what i can do to alter my computer to reduce the lag.

Here are my computer specs:

Compaq Presario PC - SR5518F

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Desktop Processor E2180

Memory - 2048 MB

Hard drive - 250GB

Graphics - Intel Grahpics Media Accelerator 3100

Optical drive - DVD/CD burner with LightScribe technology

I understand this is a fairy cheap computer, im looking for what upgrades i can possibly make to it for it to run faster.

Also i am connected from my router which is plugged into my modem. There are 4 computers in my household but there are maybe 2-3 connections working at a time. Im not sure if that would influence the lag but it may.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Edited by ryanrog, 04 December 2009 - 03:34 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your video slots are as followed:

PCI One (None available)
PCI Express x16 One (One available)
PCI Express x1 Two (Two available)

This means you can use any number of the newer cards which will be faster then what you have now.
As far as the amount of systems plugged intot he router that may make a difference in your lag. What kind of internet connection do you have? ADSL, DSL, Cable, Satellite
Go HERE and look at the first 5 cards in the list. They look like they will work with your system. They all have 512 megs of memory which should be more then enough to run the game.
I'm sure other members and tech staff will add their advice on this also so take everything in and try to ask if you need more assistance.

ryanrog

ryanrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much for the great information and fast reply! I run off of a Cable connection (Time warner).

ryanrog

ryanrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay guys, i just went out to my local Staples and bought myself a new card. Im not sure if it will work so here is what i bought.

GeForce 9400 GT

1024 MB DDR2

x16 PCO express

Supports microsoft directX 10

Here is the link to the actual product if that helps :

http://www.staples.c...p;storeId=10001

If anyone could tell me if that is compatible with my computer that would be wonderful. Also if this is a good card, and will i need this much for gaming? Thanks a lot for the help in advance!

JennyS

JennyS

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Concerning the graphics card, what you're referring to is low FPS, not lag. The card you bought is very good, and you shouldn't have any problems with FPS from now on.

I would recommend upgrading your RAM to 4GB, though. I have 2GBs and sometimes have trouble running newer games.