Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista won't accept my password

• Please log in to reply

Twistie

Twistie

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I need to downgrade Vista to XP so I can access my work PC via the work server and remote connection (which won't accept Vista).

I use my XP installation disk and enter Recovery Console and get the DOS Command screen come up which asks me to choose a Windows session then asks for the Administrator password. I have gone into all my Vista accounts, Administrator included and changed the password to my regular password using the Control userpassword2 function AND using the Control Panel Manage User Accounts function. But when I enter that password in at this point, it always tells me the password is invalid and I cannot progress.

Appreciate any assistance. Thanks very much!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Under Vista the Administrator account is disabled by default and isn't accessible outside of Vista or a Vista-type environment anyway.
Anyway you don't need the recovery console. Boot off the XP CD, press Enter on the first screen and follow the on-screen instructions after that. Be aware that this will wipe the machine and you will lose everything on it. You may want to go to the website of the people who made the computer/board to get all the XP drivers BEFORE you wipe it.