Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP BlackSOD (Grahpics cards or drivers failing?)

• Please log in to reply

Virus Magnet

Virus Magnet

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Wow, cant believe it's been over 5 years since i've posted here. Anywhoo, having troubles with the graphics cards/Drivers(if im sure of my self)

Whenever i roll a full screen game the monitors shut off(no Source ext) and inevitably force me to restart my computer to regain control of it. I recently updated the drivers off of the nvidea website to no avail.

Hopefully it's not the cards, Granted they are old..5 years to be exact.but here are some specs.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4600+
2.41 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
Motherboard: M2N32 Deluxe SLi Edition
Graphics cards: 2x Nvidea geforce 7800 SLied.
Harddrive: Seagate Barricuda 7200 500 gigs, sata

Now i got hit with a virus previously that boned me hard and i did my first reformat on this system in nearly 3 years. Previous of that reformat i was hit with all different types of BSOD, 3 oh which being...

Memory_Management
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Page_Fault_in_Non_page_fault_area

All of which are relating to Memory/Ram, Now after the reformat I've had no such problems with those BSOD, so im figuring they were just bad drivers.

Now my question is, is the reason why i am unable to play full screen games because of drivers? Or is my Graphics cards finally down for the count? I do use duel monitors and as stupid as this question may be. During duel monitor phase i am unable to use the SLI function thus possibly only forcing my CPU to put pressure on one card? If so, would swapping one of my cards in for the other maybe solve said problem if it's a hardware issue?

Much appreciated, and glad to be back!
-Cody

Edited by Virus Magnet, 01 December 2009 - 12:27 AM.

Advertisements

Virus Magnet

Virus Magnet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry if im self bumping here..but would really like to get some help on this asap