Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting Blue screen from Flash stick after trying 'Create a bootab

• Please log in to reply

schuc

schuc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been trying to create a bootable flash stick so I can run GHOST32 to image a boot partition. At any rate, I followed the instructions in the Create a bootable USB drive tutorial. The tutorial was easy to follow and mostly worked for me. However, I get a Blue screen when the BartPE/XP environment is trying to boot up.

I have verified that the BartPE iso works by testing it in Virtual PC..no Blue screen that way.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by schuc, 01 December 2009 - 01:57 AM.

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

OK first of make sure it isnt the machine thats causing the problems.

Download MobaLiveCD (free)

This will let you boot the USB and determine any errors.

Regards

schuc

schuc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was able to test the Thumbdrive on two other laptops today... an HP Pavilion DV9000(XP Pro) and a Dell Latitude D420(XP Pro). The thumbdrive booted fine on both of them and the BartPE/XP environment came up.

The machine I am not able to boot with is a new Asus EEE 1005HA netbook running XP Home. XP home shouldn't matter since we're bypassing that boot partition when booting from the thumbdrive, so it makes me think this BartPE bootable thumbdrive doesn't like the hardware on this 1005HA.

What do you think? There still must be a way to boot a thumbdrive on it somehow... :)

schuc

schuc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

OK first of make sure it isnt the machine thats causing the problems.

Hi Datarunner and thanks for your comment. Please see my update above on the latest testing I was able to do. Your comments are appreciated.

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

OK if you got it working on 2 other machines I'd say it was the ASUS hardware. However I have an ASUS mobo and it boot just fine.

What BIOS setting are you using on the ASUS?

Just as a matter of interest, how did you find the guide? And are you using BartPE or UBCD4WIN?

Regards

schuc

schuc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi There

OK if you got it working on 2 other machines I'd say it was the ASUS hardware. However I have an ASUS mobo and it boot just fine.

Just as a matter of interest, how did you find the guide? And are you using BartPE or UBCD4WIN?

Regards

Yea, it seems it doesn't like the Asus, which is frustrating because that's the machine that got me on this whole effort..so I can create a new image of the C: boot partition with ghost32.exe. Argh.

To answer your other questions:
Q: What BIOS setting are you using on the ASUS?
A: I'm not sure what you're looking for here... I'm booting from the USB Device. Is there a specific setting you're wanting me to look at?

Q: how did you find the guide?
A: Once I found out about geekstogo, I did a forum search for bootable USB drives

Q: And are you using BartPE or UBCD4WIN?
A: Using BartPE and pe2usb

I found an article on eeeuser.com titled How to boot BartPe from pxe on asus eeepc and am trying to see if that is useful.

Do you have any other suggestions I can consider as well? Thanks

Edited by schuc, 01 December 2009 - 11:58 PM.

wrinklecream

wrinklecream

• Pip
  • 1 posts
yes your are right when i also want to install it i face same problem and i don't know why it will be happen.i think your post give me my question answer.nice job

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Hi There

Regards

Yea, it seems it doesn't like the Asus, which is frustrating because that's the machine that got me on this whole effort..so I can create a new image of the C: boot partition with ghost32.exe. Argh.

To answer your other questions:
Q: What BIOS setting are you using on the ASUS?
A: I'm not sure what you're looking for here... I'm booting from the USB Device. Is there a specific setting you're wanting me to look at?

Q: how did you find the guide?
A: Once I found out about geekstogo, I did a forum search for bootable USB drives

Q: And are you using BartPE or UBCD4WIN?
A: Using BartPE and pe2usb

I found an article on eeeuser.com titled How to boot BartPe from pxe on asus eeepc and am trying to see if that is useful.

Do you have any other suggestions I can consider as well? Thanks

Hi There

When I said how did you find the guide, I meant did you find it easy to understand?

OK there is another tool that will let you create a bootable USB version of UBCD (DOS version of UBCD4WIN).

This tool is easier to make and includes various anti-virus rescue disks and a wealth of other things.

Find it here

Any questions etc on its creation or use just ask.

Regards

Edited by datarunner, 02 December 2009 - 06:49 AM.