Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Speed : onbox- 733 bios: 551

• Please log in to reply

chessonly

chessonly

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
HI

The box that my cpu cam in showed speed of 733MHZ, but sytem info softwares and the startup ting shows 550Mhz as speed.
Also astra(a hardware info tool) gave this info:

total clock speed: 550
max clock speed:600

Naturally i am super confused abt what's happening. Is this running in an underclock state already and is it possible to overclock or bring it back to normal (safely) .
do suggest tools that give more info so that i can help u to help me :tazz:

And bios is rather old - has no overclocking options. am not asking 'how to overclock' but if i shld(safelly).

Q2:
just a small question. with my config will it help(if yes,how much) to add a 64MB video card . i do not play any games or do any graphic intensive work.
i mean i hav heard both:
"video card frees up ram" and " its a myth that it helps"

Thx all

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Did it ever run at its rated speed?

What cpu is it and what motherboard do you have?
or list the name brand of the computer and is model name and number.
If we can find a manual for the mobo we can tell you more.

As far as question 2 if you are using onboard video it is true that adding a video card will free up some memory. For a card look at zipzoomfly.com or newegg.com,best prices and service

Rick

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
an alternative to a video card would be to just add more RAM. since you say you dont do any graphics intensive stuff, it sounds like you are probably fine with the onboard video. this video does use some system resources, such as a chunk of your RAM.
if you have an open ram slot, add another stick. the result will be an overall system boost. in addition to what info doby asked for, tell us how much RAM is currently installed in the system please.

chessonly

chessonly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
OOps.
ram:256MB PIII .motherboard:very old, so can't tell much anout it. all it has is 'imported by priya'. I know it sounds silly but i didn't know much when i got it. could it be like the mobo ca't handle >733
No brand name: this is INDIA :tazz:

As for adding nore ram: i don't want to that as i expect a system update in a year or so and agp graphics card remains compatible whereas ram doesn't. Also onboard video: Sis630, which i think does need udgradation.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
There are to ways to change the cpu speed, in bios by raising the fsb and multiplyer if it is not locked or by a jumper on the mobo. most old bios especially if this is a name brand computer won't allow you to overclock or change the fsb.

Without a manual I cannot recommend doing either because if the system is running fine doing so could cause it not to boot and without a manual it would be hard to get it back to its current config.

Sorry can't be of much help.

Rick

chessonly

chessonly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
So nobody knows abt a processor underperforming by default??