Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start-up Problem - No signal on video monitor

• Please log in to reply

jescabrera

jescabrera

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I would appreciate some help in troubleshooting the following problem:

This is what I need to do to start-up my computer.

1. Upon initial boot-up, my video monitor indicates no signal and I hear a single, repeating beep coming from the computer. In addition, there does not appear to be any power going to my mouse.

2. I then power-off the computer via the main power switch and reboot...after this stage, power goes to the mouse, but the video monitor still indicates no signal. Also, I do not hear the single, repeating beep coming from the computer.

3. Finally, I will power-off again and reboot and everything will function accordingly.

This problem began to occur when I replaced the power supply. However, I can't seem to figure out why.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you sure you hooked up the power supply correctly? are you sure you got the right kind of power supply? is it properly sized for the computer (as in you're not trying to use a 200 watt psu on a machine that needs a 400 watt psu)?

as for the beep? is it really one beep at a given interval (like beep (pause) beep (pause) beep) or is it a pattern of multiple beeps?

jescabrera

jescabrera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I swapped out the old power supply with a new power supply of the same brand and voltage.

I swapped out the old PS with the new PS, cable by cable.

The beeping is one beep at a given interval such as the following:

beep (pause) beep (pause) beep (pause),etc.

I appreciate the help.

Edited by jescabrera, 01 December 2009 - 09:56 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
unplug computer from the wall...
check all the connections including all drives and the auxiliary cpu power connector...by disconnecting them and reseating them...
reseat the ram...
make sure the cpu heatsink fan is connected and spins when you power up...
what is the make and model of your computer