Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with windows xp

• Please log in to reply

blossom777

blossom777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am going to have to get ready to go to bed, have to get up early. Thank you sooooo much for your help!!! I will look on here when I get home tomorrow and see what you think. But it did go right back to windows, and as I said earlier, after it goes to windows I have to click on my name, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. I saw somewhere while reading on your site about how to see an error, and I found some in yellow and red, the most recent one was yellow, but I don't remember what it said. I may look and see if I can find that again and make sure it was C:, but i'm pretty sure it was...anyway, thank you again sooo much!! Have a good evening!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does check disk run on bootup now every time?

blossom777

blossom777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
no, I haven't saw that

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then I'm confused where you are seeing these yellow and red marks.
Is that in Device Manager
I'm just not sure what the original issue was and what you are trying to accomplish. Can you please explain the original issue and what you are actually trying to do.

blossom777

blossom777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm sorry to be confusing. When we go to degragment it says that it has detected that Chkdsk isscheduled to run on the volume: (c:) Please run Chkdsk /f so I click ok then when I go to start and click on run, then input chkdsk /f the box says The ype of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Then it pops up chkdsk cannot run becauuse.......would you like to schedule....the next time the system restarts, I click y and then restart and it still has the same issue.

blossom777

blossom777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry to run off, but really have to go. Thanks again for your help, you are awesome!! I'll check back tomorrow when I get home. Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh ok, then let us begin. Do you have your Genuine Microsoft XP?
We can do a couple if things but most require the use of this disk.

blossom777

blossom777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, I'm back to the drawing board on my problem here and am wondering if the person that was helping is here or if someone can help me. I took apart my modem and will be able to run the disk. Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes I am here and I want to try something else.

• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

blossom777

blossom777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Where is that TFC.exe at? Also, I am not able to click below, I can't get connected to the internet on the windows xp that I am trying to fix. I am on my laptop. Thank you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry forgot the link.
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
Then follow the instructions form my previous post.

blossom777

blossom777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I can't connect to the internet on the computer I'm trying to fix. The original problem is the chkdsk won't fix itself..if that makes sense.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you download the programs from the system you are typing to me on now? Burn them to a cdrw or a plain disk. Copy them to the other system and run them?
Also I thought the checkdisk problem was resolved?

blossom777

blossom777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok, fixing to try the disk I burned it to a cd. I still have the same erroe about the chkdsk. I've tried doing all the steps on page 1 of this topic, and it stills goes straight to windows, it doesn't go into the 5 different stages that it mentions in the instructions about the chkdsk.

blossom777

blossom777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I got the disk made, but don't know how to copy it to my other computer? please help, and thank you!! for helping me!