Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Running Slow and Freezing

• Please log in to reply

hmp422

hmp422

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I had a malware and trojan virus (worm maybe is the proper name?) a couple of years back and had it removed from my PC from a very kind guy on this site. Well this past spring my hard drive was scratched due to a power loss, had the computer fixed at a repair shop. When I got it back (May of 09) it ran sooo quickly! Just like it used to. But a few months ago it started running really slow and freezing constantly. It's just not right anymore. I'm concerned I have another virus or worm like I got unknowingly that last time. The repair shop put the following on my pc:

Avast Anti Virus
Malwarebytes Anti Malware
Super Anti Spyware

And I believe that's it although I feel as though I'm forgetting a program. All scans come back clean, except Malwarebytes picks up infections that are listed as tracking cookies. Only odd thing is that somehow I have Norton Security scan randomly installed (i think it came with a JAVA update) and it keep telling me that there are harmful things on my computer. So maybe there is a virus of some sort after all?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I have no idea what is plaguing my computer. I've cleaned out all the cache's and temp files, I've done the disk defragmentor and clean up and have no idea what to do from there. But something is not right with my pc.

Thanks in advance!

Heather

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello hmp422.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

Cookies are nothing more then a road map to where you have been on the internet. In most cases they are harmless. If you are experiencing slowdown issues there could be several reasons for this. We can take a look and see what pops up if you would like.

hmp422

hmp422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I would love to have you take a look!! Thank you!! I wasn't too worried about the cookies and that's what was confusing is that was all that was found but I did not believe that they were harmful. Just let me know what you need me to run and post and I'd be glad to do so :)
Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Norton Security Scan did come with a Java update if you forgot to uncheck the box.

I am still not sure if it is a active or a passive scanner I am leaning more to active. If the problem happened after the Java update I would look into the possiblity if Norton Security Scanner as the cause.

hmp422

hmp422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay.. here it goes... I hope I did everything correctly: Oh but actually it won't let me attach the screen shot. I'm not sure how to paste it in here as I can copy it but when I right click in here it doesn't give me the paste option?

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer HOME-B8050B72A0
Generator Owner
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-12-02
Time 11:15

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name HOME-B8050B72A0
User Name Owner

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron D 325, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)
Motherboard Name Dell Dell DE051
Motherboard Chipset Intel Morgan Hill i865GV
System Memory 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (01/03/06)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller (96 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (Y99986330GDT)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (Y99986330GDT)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24DB
Disk Drive Maxtor 6L160P0 (160 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8801
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 152578 MB (114886 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection (71.64.28.41)
Modem Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Brother HL-2140 series
Printer Lexmark 4200 Series
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Printer Send To OneNote 2007
USB1 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - USB Controller [A-2/A-3]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-2/A-3]
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Tux we can look at that also as a option for the problem. Nortons as you know is resource hungry so it very well could be a issue.
Now I found this from your report System Memory 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
This may have worked for the past few years but as you install more programs and the Autoruns start to increase this will not be enough to run the system correctly.
There is the Autoruns I need to go through and then there is also the option for you to increase your memory to one gig total. This is the Sweet Spot for Xp and will help a lot in the speed of programs opening and running.
Go to HERE and run the [b]Crucial
online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "IgfxTray"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "MSMSGS"
+ "swg" "GoogleToolbarNotifier"

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

hmp422

hmp422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the input also Tux, glad to get all suggestions :) Wondering also guys if I should delete the Norton scan from my computer since I don't use it? Rshaffer I followed all instructions in your last post, however when I was downloading the Auslogics Avast blocked it and said a tojan was found and malware and had me abort the download?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Auslogics Avast blocked it and said a tojan was found and malware

OK that is a new one. I have never had that happen with these two programs. Try this link HERE for Auslogics Defrag

Advertisements

hmp422

hmp422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
same thing happened with that link too

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm strange.. Avast is giving some false positives or something. Let's try something here.
Disable Nortons Security Scanner and then try the link again.
If that doesn't work then we may need to look at turning Norton's off completely. Now something odd I just noticed... Nortons doesn't show up in your Autoruns.

hmp422

hmp422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hmm.. that is odd. I don't really understand the autoruns but I'm guessing they are things that automatically run.. which Norton does. It just keeps on popping up! Do you think that the Norton is actually something else? I know some viruses will mimic the actual real program to fool people. Only I did not download this, not knowingly anyway. Okay I'm going to disable Norton and see what happens. Oh wait, actually lol, can you please tell me how to disable it? All I can see is uninstall etc.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
let's try this.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything that has any reference to Norton's and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem

Post back with the results

hmp422

hmp422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I did what you said, there is nothing there that references Norton. This Nortons thing is very strange.. it's not showing up anywhere but it's on my desktop and runs quite a bit. I've also attached a pic of the screen shot I couldn't get on here earlier.. I just cropped out the stuff on the left that I had to click on to get to the sensors to make the file smaller.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.bmp.jpg