Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't adjust resolution for full screen applications

• Please log in to reply

Triskaidekaphobia

Triskaidekaphobia

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I can't get anything to run in full screen mode that has lower resolution than my Windows 7 resolution (1680x1050). The applications will run maximised, but only at 1680x1050, i.e. they appear in a smaller area of the screen with black space around the outside. If I run a game at 1280x800 in "full screen", the monitor resolution stays at 1680x1050 and just leaves a large black outline around the game.
How do I fix this?

Many thanks
Tom

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Which applications are these please?

Triskaidekaphobia

Triskaidekaphobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry, it's not really applications, just games - I can't think of anything that I use that runs in proper full screen mode that isn't a game....
It's the same with any game - the resolution does not change from 1680x1050 at all.
Thanks
Tom

Update: I have just discovered that if I change my desktop resolution, the same thing happens in Windows (when I am not in a game)! So if I change the resolution to 1440x900, the monitor stays at 1680x1050 but the active area shrinks to 1440x900 and leaves a black outline. So does that mean that my monitor is the problem? I have created an image of what my monitor looks like using a screen dump at 1440x900.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Resolution_problem.jpg

Edited by Triskaidekaphobia, 02 December 2009 - 05:09 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Please help us to help you.
Which games are you referring to please?

Triskaidekaphobia

Triskaidekaphobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Any game I try! The problem is not specific to a particular game, but the ones I have tried to play in Windows 7 are:-
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010
Half Life 2
Far Cry 2
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Tomb Raider (the original - played using DOSBox)

As I said in my previous post, it is not just games that I have this problem with - if I reduce the resolution of my Windows desktop, I have the same problem WITHOUT running a game. The image I attached shows this - the black outline is what I see on my monitor. Therefore, the problem is not connected to a game; the output resolution WILL NOT change to below 1680x1050, regardless of what I am doing.

Edited by Triskaidekaphobia, 06 December 2009 - 01:08 PM.

Triskaidekaphobia

Triskaidekaphobia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Update - I fixed the issue by installing the previous version of my graphics card drivers (GeForce 8 Series).