Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive or PSU?

• Please log in to reply

Mafuu

Mafuu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
System has been running stable for about a year. I had a PSU go out on it about 4 months ago and replaced it and has been working fine until now.

I will get a good 30-45 sec lag/freeze (entire computer just freezes but comes back) and when this happens I hear what sounds like the hard drive slowing and speeding back up (high pitch whine sound). This happened over the weekend 3 times during one day after the computer had been on for several hours.

The next day, it worked fine again for about 2 hours and then happened again 2 times in a 20 min period and then continued to run fine for another hour. My paranoid self just ordered a new HD from Newegg today, but wanted to ask here since I had issues with my PSU in the past.

PSU 550W (not sure of brand since at work now)
CPU: AMD XP 2800+
MB: KT400 Dragon Ultra
Mem: 1.5GB DDR
HD: 60GB Maxtor 7200rpm ATA133

Thanks

Edited by Mafuu, 16 May 2005 - 05:08 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I don't think it would be the psu because when they have problems the system will usually reboot.
Check the cd that came with the Maxtor for tools to check the drive, if it was a OEM drive and didn't come with the cd the tools are avalible for free on Maxtors website.

Rick