Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC - no POST on intial power up

• Please log in to reply

jaybee723

jaybee723

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my 3rd PC build. All new components and carefully built. Upon initial power up, fans turned for like 2 secs then all stop. 5 secs later they turn for 2 secs and stop, and it continues until I remove power. This sounds to me like a short or a power supply problem. I'm just starting to trouble shoot, and appreciate any guidance on where to start. Power supply is Thermaltake TR2 430 W brand new. Suggestions?

Intel Core i5 750 Processor - 2.66GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Lynnfield
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Asrock P55M Pro MoBo
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
MSI N220GT-MD512 GeForce GT 220 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Are you sure the power supply is hooked up correctly? Do you have access to a power supply tester?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I agree with Spyderturbo, but this could also be heat, RAM, or a bad CPU. Also, make 200% sure you don't have any extra standoffs under the motherboard.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is the aux CPU power connector plugged into the mobo...
is the cpu fan connected to the mobo..
did you use thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink...
if the answer to the above are yes
if all else fails..pull everything out of the case...lay the mobo on some cardboard...
the only thing connected to the mobo should be the video card... the mobo main power connector...the monitor...keyboard and mouse..
turn on the power and start tapping the delete key...
do you see your bios

jaybee723

jaybee723

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, this is embarrassing. The auxillary power supply was not hooked up. Had the 24 pin supply plugged in but not the aux. As soon as I plugged that in, it worked fine. Thanks for your help!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Well, this is embarrassing.

But you learned something didn't you? That's a good thing. And since you stood up and posted a follow up, future readers have an opportunity to learn something too - a very good thing.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We only learn by our mistakes!
And we continue to learn till the day we die.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)