Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help updating the BIOS on an ASUS M2N-MX SE

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I'm trying to update my motherboard, an ASUS M2N-MX SE, from bios version 0201 to 0501. My CPU apparently keeps overheating (or so it says) and causes it to shut down. A physical check of the CPU and heatsink shows no defects and when it's reading insane temperatures like 75C the heatsink is actually warm (even cool) to touch.

Apparently earlier versions of the bios had some error where it caused random shutdowns which was fixed is bios versions past 0403. I've been told by a PC engineer (on the other side of the world from me via email) that updating the BIOS is necessary. I won't go into the long conversations we've had, but I agree this is a necessary step to take.

Before everyone asks for the umpteenth time, yes I have put on thermal paste, yes I used only a little, yes I applied evenly and sparingly, yes my heatsink and fan are working perfectly at high speeds, no I don't have cool and quiet enabled in the bios, yes the contact is firm with the CPU, no the CPU is not damaged, yes the PSU seems fine from what I can tell, no I don't have case fans but the side is off, no it isn't overclocked... I can go on but it's already past tedious.

I just want help updating the bios.

I've downloaded the manual from the ASUS site along with the bios and tried to follow the instructions, with no result. I renamed the .rom file to M2N-MXSE.ROM as per the manual's instructions, tried using both flash drive and CD rom without success. I haven't got a floppy disk anywhere in the house but might be able to get one at the supermarket. When using the CD it says it's reading the file "M2N-MXSE.ROM" then says it can't find the file on CD, even though it's the only file on the disc. I've made the disc a multi session disc in Nero so I can add files to it later, don't know if that means anything.

I'm at my wit's end and really need some help, please!!

Advertisements

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Never mind, I found some floppys at the supermarket despite electronics stores not knowing where to get them from and did it myself without any problems. Temp seems to have stabilised too...