Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 1606. Could not access location 0\. Request assistance plea

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Earlier this evening I tried to set up The weather bug after I downloaded it. I also tried setting up Diskeeper last week after downloading it and it failed to setup also. This is the message I got: Error 1606. Could not access location 0\. So, I had to cancel the setup. I checked out a "fix it" site and the following are the directions I got from them on how to fix the problem:
---
When you attempt to install an application which uses Windows Installer, you may encounter the following error:

Error 1606 Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\RECENT\
Resolution

This may happen due to incorrect registry value type for Recent, in the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

* Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
* Navigate to the above location
* In the right-pane, double-click Recent and set its data to:

%Userprofile%\Recent

Important: The Value type must be of REG_EXPAND_SZ type. If it is of REG_SZ type, delete the value, and then create a new value of the correct type.

* Close Regedit.exe and restart Windows.
----
Unfortunately I found in User Shell Folders where it's supposed to say "In the right-pane, double-click RECENT and set its data to:", that does NOT exist. Besides the others, the only other one reads "default", and NOT RECENT. What should I do? Can this be resolved without having to buy an expensive registry editor? I'm running Windows XP Professional Version, upgraded a couple years ago from Windows ME or 98, I'm not really sure which one because I got this PC from someone else. I want to be able to setup software that I download. Any help will be be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements