Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thoughts on this Laptop

• Please log in to reply

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
I am considering buying this laptop asap. Thoughts? Good value?

http://www.costco.co...?...p=C&topnav=

HP dv6t
Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz)
2MB L2 cache
800MHz front side bus
4GB DDR3 SDRAM (shared)
500GB Drive

Advertisements

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Or maybe this one instead?

http://www.costco.co...?...p=C&topnav=

Which is better?

mike4

mike4

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
i'm pretty sure the first one is better, what are you trying to do with it?

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Why is the first one better? what makes you say that?
internet, email, word processing, pics, video, some gaming, etc.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You also have a topic HERE on the same question. Please do not duplicate topics as this just makes everything confusing.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
no one is responding... can you please help?
thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First of all you are asking for a suggestion without giving us any ideal what you want to use the laptop for.
Second from looking over the two laptops you have referenced I see no large difference between them but a name.
The laptops are pretty much the exact same in configurations.
Please supply some information so we can assist. Also I am closing the other topic since it is a duplicated topic.,

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
I apologize, I am just really excited and Id like to know.
This laptop is for an 'older' user who is a novice with computers.
He will be using it for basic things, such as email, internet, videos, pictures, music, and word documents....
I understand the configurations are the same, but which laptop is better overall? Which will give me less problems? Which one will last longer? Which will give me more bang for my buck?
Are HP's better laptops generally or are Acers?
There are more reviews for the Acer... which are very positive.
Also I noticed that the Acer is lighter, thinner, more battery life, uses different audio, and has more/different ports...
But I feel as though HP is a better name?
Thoughts please?
I appreciate it!!!

mike4

mike4

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
i say the first one is better because it is ddr3 and for that reason only. Also, if this is just word documents and stuff like that this will be more than enough.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
HP is bettter? What is DDR3?
But I noticed that the Acer is lighter, thinner, more battery life, uses different audio, and has more/different ports... etc
Personally which one would you guys get if you had to choose one or the other?
Thanks

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
I'm not familiar with the exact models here & I haven't bothered comparing specs etc as everyone is saying they're pretty much the same as each other. Neither one is running Vista (thank Christ) so based purely on the manufacturers alone, I would go with the Acer. Both are reasonable but personally I think Acer are just that little bit better on the whole

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Hi
I'm not familiar with the exact models here & I haven't bothered comparing specs etc as everyone is saying they're pretty much the same as each other. Neither one is running Vista (thank Christ) so based purely on the manufacturers alone, I would go with the Acer. Both are reasonable but personally I think Acer are just that little bit better on the whole

Why is Acer better on the whole? How so?
two people have said HP is better... now youre the first to say Acer is better? Why?
I am torn haha
thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you are asking is for personal experience with the laptop brands and like any other opinion we will give that as our opinion on your choices. I myself have never owned a name brand system so I would not be the one to offer a opinion based on brand name.
I would say for the reasons you have stated the system will be used for then either system will work. The ending decision should be based on the reviews you have read and the opinions we give based on our experiences with them. There are good experiences and bad experiences on both sides of this topic and you and\or the potential owner would have to make a decision based on your own research in the end. We cannot tell you which is going to last longer because that will depend on the use it gets as well as the environment the system would be subjected to.
Hopefully what you are asking is not for someone to decide this for you. The comparison of the systems is to close to say there is really any difference as I have already stated.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
What is DDR3?
Perhaps the Acer is better because it is lighter, thinner, has more battery life, uses different audio, and has more ports... etc

Thoughts?
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This Tutorial may help you understand the difference in the memory DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.