Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I guess I'm dumb

• Please log in to reply

ssbn642blue

ssbn642blue

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ordered a Dell GX620 from ebay(ie. Dell auction)with XP Pro installed. (OEM right?) Plan on using old internal HD(250GB) from older Gateway with XP Home/Ubuntu already installed in a IDE to USB external case.

After much searching, not sure if I can just go to external HD and run XP Home or Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi ssbn642blue and welcome to Geeks to Go.

The short answer (and long answer) to your question is No. Not as a USB external.
If you are looking to get the data, then you can hook it and move it across to the new drive.

I believe that you can put it in as an internal and then use a grub loader, or re-write the boot.ini and mbr it can be done.

Please wait for a more qualified tech to respond.

123runner

ssbn642blue

ssbn642blue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm thinking the answer would be to

1.) back up data from old internal HD on a seperate external HD

2). format both new internal HD AND old internal HD

3). install XP on new (computer) internal HD and re-install the data on the old HD using the seperate external HD, transfering what I want on new internal HD

4). using old external HD for back ups

Does this sound okay? I don't want to just have the old HD sit around.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I guess I need to ask some more questions and/or make then clearer so we are on the same page.
Are you looking to boot from the "new" internal (XP pro) and also boot into your XP home and Ubunto?

If so the my previous answer is most likely the way to go.

If you are looking to just use the "old" drive as a backup, then there are a couple ways to go.
1. Slave the "old" drive to the new system and just move your data to the new drive.
2. Put the "old" drive in an external case. This would still allow you to move/ copy the data to the new drive.
3. When your data/email/music/etc is all moved over, then you can just reformat the drive and use it as a spare either physically mounted as a slave or in an enclosure where it would be portable.

ssbn642blue

ssbn642blue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
2. Put the "old" drive in an external case. This would still allow you to move/ copy the data to the new drive.
3. When your data/email/music/etc is all moved over, then you can just reformat the drive and use it as a spare either physically mounted as a slave or in an enclosure where it would be portable.

I think this will be the best way for me.

What would be the best way to move the files?

Thanks again.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would say a copy and paste method is generally the best and easiest way..

If moving emails, you would have to look into what is the old program and what is the new program.
If the same email program you would use export and import.
You would use export/import on other emails also, but you need to find out if you can import into a different program.

Favorites can also be moved/saved.

ssbn642blue

ssbn642blue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks alot. You have solved my problem.

Have a great week-end.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Glad to help.