Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Task Manager "problem....."

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I went to use "Task Manager" to stop a running process and what's happened to task manager...?

Previously, there were options at the top of the Task Manager window, but NOT now!

The ONLY things that appear now are:

"Task" and "Status" at the top of the window and "End task", "Switch to" and "New task" at the bottom of the window.
There isn't even a red cross at the top right hand corner to close the window!

What has caused this, and how on Earth can I fix it please? :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 06 December 2009 - 01:27 PM.

Advertisements

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
hi

don't panic

just double-click at the top of the task manager window that should show everything again.

cheers

ali.B

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

hi

don't panic

just double-click at the top of the task manager window that should show everything again.

cheers

ali.B

Hi Ali,
Thanks, I hope you are right.
I'm in deep doodoos with the PC concerned at present!
I cannot check if your remedy works just now as I'm running a disk check for errors on that particular PC. It has found some, and is currently fixing them (I hope).
Fortunately, it's only an OLD XP PC which I use for beta testing.

Earlier today I ran a virus scan, and it has detected a virus "Win32/Heur" on both Master C: drive and Slave F: drive. I'm not sure (yet) whether it's a false detection or not, as this PC was clear of viruses up to installing the latest Beta of the anti virus software.
I only noticed the problem with Task Manager when I tried to go into running processes and see what was going on - with a view to stopping any processes that were unrecognised as legitimate.
I'll report back with the outcome in due course....

Task Manager problem fixed - Thanks Ali!

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 06 December 2009 - 03:36 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
rshaffer61 Said:
"I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s)."

Did you know the link from "START HERE" doesn't work? It redirects to an Adminstrator but the link is broken beyond that.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
It works for me, make sure you are logged in

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

It works for me, make sure you are logged in

Yep, I allow pop ups click on the link in:

Follow the steps in our Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide before starting a new topic (It's in the locked thread above Admin's page).

and keep getting directed back to the same page!

Admin instructs you to follow this BEFORE posting, but I can't access it???

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are seeing the picture of the Admin then you are at the tutorial. Just read down and it will tell you what programs to use and what logs to post after you are done.