Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand new 40" LCD TV as a screen for pc

• Please log in to reply

thebeebster

thebeebster

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Is it worth it? Are the resolutions fine for doing normal day to day acitivities, watching streamed movies, video games?

I eventually want to hook my cable box to my pc and have a picture in picture. So I can watch tv while im on the computer. Is it possible?

Thank you very much in advance :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i HAD a laptop hooked to my 37" lcd for a while...but the hard drive has eaten itself so at the moment i don't have it hooked up....but when it was working everything was fine (this was an old laptop as well so the graphics card wasn't exactly current). i had to set the resolution relatively low, and turn on the extra large fonts and such to be able to read anything on the TV from across the room (about 10 to 15 feet), but i regularly played videos and some small flash games (not a big gamer) as well as using my netflix "watch now" stuff on it... everything looked good to me.

as for the PIP with the cable box...one would assume that if you've got the proper hardware to connect the cable box to the computer and have it play on the computer, that you'd be able to PIP TV and internet/computer usage easily by simply minimizing or cascading the windows

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Is it worth it?

It all boils down to how far away you sit from it. If too close, you will wear your neck out!