Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox will not open for me...

• Please log in to reply

Theenie

Theenie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just did a system restore because Firefox was acting all kinds of crazy. Everything in Facebook was overlapping itself so I would have comments or invites over top of other comments or invites, also I was getting heaps of pop ups even though I have not had an unwanted pop up in so long I can not remember, I tried logging in to a site called ebuddy and a popup comes up I had made an exception for, it would pop up but before it could load would say "stopped" in the status bar of the pop up and be blank. I recently installed some firefox add ons and thought maybe one was bad or malicious so I restored my system to a couple days ago. Now firefox will not open so I can check if it is still acting whacky.

It does not show up in process of the task bar thingie when you do ctrl alt del and I have tried reinstalling firefox.

I am not very good with computers so please make all directions very simple. Thanks so much in advance.

Oh as well... I had a free trial of Norton on this computer that expired and it will not let me remove it in add/remove programs. I use AVG for antivirus and a cookie blocker at the moment.

Edited by Theenie, 07 December 2009 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Theenie

There appears to be several different issues here. Firstly, in order to remove Norton, I recommend you get the Norton Removal tool for here:

Norton removal tool

Yes, Norton to so awful that even their built-in uninstaller doesn't work properly.

Once Norton has gone, see if things improve. Assuming they don't, get rid of cookie blocker. I don't know anything about this program but certain website won't function properly if cookies are blocked.

What happens when you use IE instead of Firefox? Do you still get pop-ups & other problems?

Theenie

Theenie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I do not have IE on this computer. I have google chrome which I am currently using and I have no pop-ups at all, which is odd since I do not even have a pop up or ad blocker installed on google chrome like I did firefox. I will definitely use the Norton removal tool thank you. The cookie blocker is a program called Cookie Wall... I do not know if it blocks cookies or filters them and ensures cooking grabbers are blocked. A friend downloaded it for me and told me it is suppose to be helpful and I guess I just never bothered to question more about it.

Also I had the cookie wall program for like a year and never had any problems before now so do not think it could be related.

Edited by Theenie, 07 December 2009 - 08:04 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
First of all, everyone has IE, because you can't uninstall darn thing. It's a part of Windows.

Secondly, if you have pop-ups....

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Posting a hijack this log was going to be my next bit of advice anyway - Broni beat me to it!

I still recommend getting rid of Norton first though as having 2 different antivirus programs can cause no end of problems. By the sound of it though, you have something else going on there that hopefully the malware forum can sort out for you.

Broni is also correct re. IE. Internet Explorer is so heavily embedded in Windows, that you cannot get rid of it!

Theenie

Theenie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the info...

I have an issue... I did up to the anti malware program and had 157 infections. Judging by the amount (deleted them all) AVG isn't working too well so was looking at the next step which was an anti-virus program to ensure you have one and is working. I want to download the one your site reccomends but it said to remove all other anti-virus programs first... my issue is I do not know what Norton I have to use the removal tool. It says basic scan and detection on my Norton, but do not know what year or specifications as the removal tool for it makes you pick one and unsure which to pick to remove it.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Doesn't matter which Norton you have, just select any from the list & download the tool. The only difference between them is that they provide you with different instructions for backing up for account info etc if you wish to go back them. Ignore all this & just download the tool & remove the useless piece of crap that is Norton :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Judging by the amount (deleted them all) AVG isn't working

There is no bullet-proof AV program. In case of infected computers, the user bears a good chunk of fault.