Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a replacement graphics card?

• Please log in to reply

oimi

oimi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello, I have suddenly started having major problems with my PC since I replaced the thermal paste on my CPU and liquid-cooled heatsink for my GPU.

I'm not quite sure what I have managed to do, but my guess is that the graphics card is screwed. My motherboard does not have on-board graphics to test this theory. When I booted up having removed all the old paste, replacing it with much better stuff, it loaded up Windows 7 like normal. When the desktop loaded, it was all fractured (parts of the desktop appear fine and others completely messed up/randomly). I restarted the computer, because on top of this, the computer froze up, This happened a few times, before finally I restarted again and the computer booted-up, got to the loading Windows screen and after that, made all the usual sounds (internal) that would suggest it was still loading up into Windows, but my monitor displayed nothing but a blank screen.

Any thoughts? If it is the graphics card, can anyone suggest what I can replace the BFG 8800GTX OC2 768MB GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out HDCP enabled PCI-E Graphics Card with, running on a Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU (ATX12V v2.2 APFC)?

Thank you so much for your consideration!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The first thing I would do is make sure I did not knock loose any connections, and that all required power connections to the card have been made. Then I would install the OEM HSF assembly back on the graphics card and see if still broken.