Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PRESARIO_RP (D:)

• Please log in to reply

videogames518

videogames518

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I'm kinda new to this, so I'm not exactly sure what to say as for asking for help, but here it goes.....

I'm trying to defrag/clear up some memory in my PRESARIO_RP (D:) , but I don't know how. I'm assuming that if I can pull this off, it might hopefully speed up my laptop/internet connection.

This is what is looks like when I try to defrag the drive.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, this is what is in my Hard Disk Drive......

Posted Image

So.... does anyone know how I can clear up some memory for it?

Advertisements

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
hi

This is the recovery partition where a backup of your system is located, if for some reason you needed to recover your system this is what you will need.

So in another words you shouldn't be playing around with this partition and keep your hands off :)

You'd be better by defragmenting the C:\ partition where your system is installed.

cheers

ali.B

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Don't touch the D: drive, it's a recovery partition like ali.B said, touching it could mean big problems when you need to recover your system to factory settings

videogames518

videogames518

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So, there's no way to clear up any memory for it without getting rid of the Recovery that's not to be touched?

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
WHY do you need to clear up space ? you have 40 GB free on C:\

why do you want to clear space from D:\ ?

cheers

ali.B

videogames518

videogames518

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

WHY do you need to clear up space ? you have 40 GB free on C:\

why do you want to clear space from D:\ ?

cheers

ali.B

I know my C has plenty of space left, but I think that most of whatever lag I have is coming from the little space on the D drive, though I'm not positive on that.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
the D drive isn't in use constantly, Defragging it is unlikely to make any effect other than possibly lower the chances of recovery incase your windows dies or you wish to reinstall, windows only ever cares and acts slow if the windows drive is low on space ( The C drive )

videogames518

videogames518

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

the D drive isn't in use constantly, Defragging it is unlikely to make any effect other than possibly lower the chances of recovery incase your windows dies or you wish to reinstall, windows only ever cares and acts slow if the windows drive is low on space ( The C drive )

Ah, k. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you want to try and defrag it try using this...
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged