Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't reformat my computer

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

http://usasma.vox.co...iagnostics.html

Advertisements

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
http://www.tacktech....tid=287#seagate Looked up my harddrive and apparently its a seagate, just curious should I do the DOS or the Windows download? Just wanted to double check before i do anything

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Seagate is SeaTools diagnostics program.
Use the Dos based version and get the one that you can burn to a cd. This will load then on bootup and run strictly in memory.
No windows or HD being used so if it BSOD's again then we will look at things from outside windows.

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Alright I ran the CD, idk if its a problem with me burning the disk, but it just spammed something like Error config .sys line overflow (number) and it reached like 250000 before i gave up. It was running so fast i couldnt tell what the exact message was but it was something along those lines.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you reboot the system and did the cd take over before it booted into windows?
If not you may have to go into the bios and set the boot sequence so that the cdrom is first. I would think you already did this for the memtest but just wanted to cover all the bases.

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeah When i started the computer up I went into the boot sequence with f12 and selected the CD ROM do i need to manually go into the Setup and change the boot seq in the list and set the CD before the harddrive?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes and make sure you save the settings before you exit. Normally F10 and then you will have to click Y to verify.

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yeah went into setup with F2, changed the boot sequence, same error occured, idk if I'm doing something wrong, i used the first link on the website for my harddrive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You got the SeaTools for Dos (ISO Cdrom Image)?
You used the Imgburn program to burn the ISO to a disk or did you burn it as a data disk?

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It originally just gave me the files when i unzipped the .rar but i went up a level in the directory and grabbed the entire iso and put it in my documents then burned the iso to the disk, how would i burn it as a data disk rather than a bootable disk, just to see if thats what i actually did?

Edited by Snake3190, 03 January 2010 - 03:29 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It won't work as data. It has to be burned as a cd image or dvd image disk. This makes the disk bootable. if you burn it as data it won't be bootable.

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Alright im pretty sure i did it right but ill redo it, how do i delete the files on it so im not wasting 100 CD's? I cant burn it again without the disk being empty

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the disk a rewritable or just one time writable?
If the latter you can't.
If rewritable there should be aoption in the program to erase the disk first.