Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Windows emails when upgrading to Win 7

• Please log in to reply

Ernie3

Ernie3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a new PC that came with Vista and a free upgrade to Windows 7. During the time that I used Vista, I saved a number of emails (Windows Mail). I knew Win7 did not include email (so I subsequently installed Thunderbird) - but I didn't know that in removing Windows Mail that it would remove all the saved emails too. :)
Is there any way to restore lost emails?

Ernie3

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends how you did the upgrade as you can typically upgrade from within Windows itself or you can do a custom install which is effectively a new installation, and this has two options: a new installation saving the old one, or wiping the machine. If the drive's been wiped the email will be lost, or failing that there should be a folder called Windows.old which is your old Vista.

Ernie3

Ernie3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your interest.
As far as I know, I did an UPGRADE, I did not do a new install, however, I do not have the folder Windows.old.
I'm starting to think I was having a "senior moment" and perhaps I didn't do what I thought I did ...

Rod

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No "windows.old" folder typically means the machine has been wiped.
While there is a potential option to recover some files, it's plausible that the files you want email wise have been overwritten by the Windows 7 files.