Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp share folder limite, how can all pc share 1 folder at the s

• Please log in to reply

smallfish

smallfish

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have windows xp on my computer and it share 1 folder with all other
20 pcs. all 20 pcs can share that folder, but why they can't be share
that folder at the same time, coz I try 5 machine to open that folder
at the same time is ok, once more than that, the rest computer would
be unable to open the folder, how can I change that setting, at least
I need 10 or 15 can share that folder at the same time... please....
help..

Advertisements

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hello smallfish and welcome to Geeks To Go

Acoording to this Microsoft kb, Inbound connections limit in Windows XP:

For Windows XP Professional, the maximum number of other computers that are permitted to simultaneously connect over the network is ten. This limit includes all transports and resource sharing protocols combined. For Windows XP Home Edition, the maximum number of other computers that are permitted to simultaneously connect over the network is five. This limit is the number of simultaneous sessions from other computers the system is permitted to host.

For more simultaneous connections you need to set up a server rather than use a peer to peer network. I don't know if this can be changed with a registry modification.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if your main target is file sharing you should get a NAS (network attached hard drive) device. it's basically a hard drive (or group of hard drives) with a network card, you simply plug it into your LAN, make a few setting changes and it's up and cooking. on most currently available NAS devices you can set file/folder permissions directly on the device so you can keep people from getting into things they don't need to be in