Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to get rid of extraneous desktop icons

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
It's way past midnight now which is making my brain even slower that usual, as is evident, so I'll check if you have found out anything.

I appreciate your time on this to help out - thanks.

Advertisements

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Here are a few:
All begin with cnm...so I'll leave that out:-

i0405.dll, then the same with 6,7,8,9,10 etc.

unins;urde;urit;urul;urno;urpl;urpt;vs;vsa;w;inst2.dll;inst; etc., etc.

If you need more please ask.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Telling the truth, it puzzles me.
If you delete those files one more time and restart computer in Safe Mode, will they reappear?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I'm afraid they do.

If somehow I can deal with this or if others can point the way I'll keep this thread open to reveal how.

Thanks to Broni for considering my dilemma.

Oh, perhaps another clue - when I start deleting the desktop icons 4 or 5 at a time,some of them immediately copy themselves back to the desktop so I have to delete them one by one. Does this tell anything?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks Broni for that advice. It may have to wait until after Xmas and the problem is not giving me any operating difficulties, just annoying as my Desktop is completely full up.

Until later.
Plutox

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK :)

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Here are a couple of logs to begin with. Restarting to effect the 'Remove' the 3 items found in Malwarebytes the rogue Desktop icons are still there. These are the many language Readme and eula files. I have used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall all the Canon stuff and the extra registry items that remained.

I have previously downloaded the Canon i350 drivers many times on my other 3 computers in the past 6 years without this problem. This netbook is brand new and the only other downloads are the Google Chrome, Revo Uninstaller, HD Tune.McAfee Pro pre installed.

I hope this info and the following logs provide some clues.

I'll get on with the OTL Log a bit later. Thanks for looking these over.

Edited by Rorschach112, 06 January 2010 - 07:49 AM.
removed logs

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Had some time for the OTL but got an error message when trying to run it. By the way it said the program was RootReal.exe but isn't that the same as the Rootkit Detection one I've just done?

Anyway the error:

16:30:37: FOPS - DeviceIoControl Error! Error Code = 0xc0000001 Extended Info (0x00000094)
16:30:37: DeviceIoControl Error! Error Code = 0x1e7
16:30:37: FOPS - DeviceIoControl Error! Error Code = 0xc0000001 Extended Info (0x00000094)

Hope this is not serious.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have a active infection but the logs need to be put into a topic in the malware forum. We do not use these logs in any forum but malware.

Advertisements

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I have finally solved this problem, with a little cheating - I went back to factory settings (the computer was new so not much on it) and those icons have gone. Phew!

Thanks to all who proffered their advice on this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I went back to factory settings (the computer was new so not much on it) and those icons have gone

If you mean you did a format and reinstall using a Destructive Recovery then you should be ok. If not and you did a Non Destructive Recovery then you will still have the infection active on your system.
I suggest you still follow through with your Malware topic just to make sure.