Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A disk read error occurred + Vista Ultimate BSOD

• Please log in to reply

AnneM86

AnneM86

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,

Have a huge problem with my desktop. It's as if it was scheduled to go ballistic one month after the warranty expired. So, to give you a full history let me first start with a quick overview of the system: quadcore 2.66, 4 GB ram, ati radeon 4870x2, mb asus p5e3 deluxe, 2 x hdd western digital 640 gb.

Now, ever since I got the system Vista 64 bit Ultimate didn't work properly because of the boot config and I kept on having to start it up with the disk. Then sometime in august I couldn't get into the system at all because I kept getting the BSOD as soon as windows started to launch. I managed to fix it by reinstalling all the drivers etc. Then about 2 weeks ago I started to get the BSOD constantly again to the point I couldn't access the system. When I tried to use the disk to repair or restore I got the lovely message a disk read error occurred with jumbled letters. I searched around on the net and after 7 hours of trying various things which didn't work I opened it up and switched the cables on the hdd and installed windows on the other hdd. Or so I thought.

Anyway, worked for a while (a few days)and I could access all my data even on the so called bad disk but now I am getting the BSOD again even while reinstalling Vista. I completely unplugged the hdd that was causing problems because I was hoping to get at least one running and use HDD regenerator on the other. But it's impossible. Now, I am not sure if this is because both the hdds are going, or the RAM is faulty or what. It's clear that one hdd is almost dead, but BOTH?

Please help because the only 2 solutions I can come up with atm is to buy a SATA to USB convertor and connect each hdd to my laptop and try and fix them or at least recover the important data, or to pay someone to fix it for me. The latter is a great solution but I don't want to be taken for a ride along the lines that I may as well buy a new computer.

Thanks ever so much.

Advertisements