Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive continually running

• Please log in to reply

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
http://www.geekstogo...un-t260235.html

I started with thinking this was a malware issue. I was asked to post here in the XP forum by the help I was receiving from malware team. While I wait for a reply, I will continue to try to reload my anti-virus software - it was removed for testing purpose.

Joseph

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Considering the machine's only got 256Mb of memory, it will always "churn", which is the technical term for when the hard drive just sits there whirring away. Putting anti-virus on it will only escalate the problem because the machine will be using hard drive space as extra memory, which is much slower than physical memory and that's why it's churning. JSntgRvr's post in the thread you linked to sums it up: " Your memory is low, 255Mb after video. You can't handle XP and McAfee with that much memory. It will take forever to load."

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Not to mention.

Drive C: | 9.36 Gb Total Space | 0.60 Gb Free Space | 6.41% Space Free

This computer is really working.
Try avira or avast for a free low resource scanner.

Is it a laptop or desk top?
Go to http://www.crucial.com/ to see about more memory.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ok, so with the price of new machines with all the bells and horns, I guess it is time to retire this unit.

Thanks you all for your help.

Joseph